Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Message Forwarding - Child's Phone

How can I forward the messages from my child's phone to my iPhone for monitoring? I have set up an apple ID for them with family sharing. I've looked into the following settings to see if I can forward text messages from my child's phone to mine, but it doesn't appear possible.

"Settings > Messages > Send & Receive": only my child's iCloud account and phone number is listed here, I cannot add my phone number.

"Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding": This only lets me link their iPad, I cannot forward to my phone. There is no option to add any device manually.

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 4:42 PM

As you have already learned, Text Message Forwarding only works between devices that are logged in with the same Apple ID. For example, your son's iPhone and his iPad because they are both logged on to the same Apple ID. When two devices share the same Apple ID, then there is more data that is shared between the devices than just the text Messages. Contacts, Notes, Calendars etc.

You may be tempted to share an Apple ID between you and your son however note that both device's will display the same data and therefore may not be a good idea to do so.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 4:42 PM in response to ekolto

As you have already learned, Text Message Forwarding only works between devices that are logged in with the same Apple ID. For example, your son's iPhone and his iPad because they are both logged on to the same Apple ID. When two devices share the same Apple ID, then there is more data that is shared between the devices than just the text Messages. Contacts, Notes, Calendars etc.

You may be tempted to share an Apple ID between you and your son however note that both device's will display the same data and therefore may not be a good idea to do so.

Axel F.

Text Message Forwarding - Child's Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.