Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does bootcamp say there is not enough space on my disk

I am trying to create a Windows 7 install disk through bootcamp assistant and its say my "64GB" usb doesnt have enough space. Please help.

P. S. It only lets me do a usb not a dvd.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 11:33 AM

Please understand that I am not a Bootcamp expert, but here is what I suggest. First, look at what is on the disk you ate attempting to install. In other words, how large is the file to be installed? If it is a DMG (meaning compressed) you need to determine the size of the file after it is decompressed. Second, how much space you have available on the partition you are going to do the installation on? Can that be increased if necessary with Bootcamp? I ask because normally a partition can not be changed once created without erasing disk to do so.

Here is another idea to consider. If there is insufficient space available, maybe you could use an external disk (properly formatted) to install onto. I hope this helps and good luck.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 11:33 AM in response to baybee2023

Please understand that I am not a Bootcamp expert, but here is what I suggest. First, look at what is on the disk you ate attempting to install. In other words, how large is the file to be installed? If it is a DMG (meaning compressed) you need to determine the size of the file after it is decompressed. Second, how much space you have available on the partition you are going to do the installation on? Can that be increased if necessary with Bootcamp? I ask because normally a partition can not be changed once created without erasing disk to do so.

Here is another idea to consider. If there is insufficient space available, maybe you could use an external disk (properly formatted) to install onto. I hope this helps and good luck.

Why does bootcamp say there is not enough space on my disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.