Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change file extension within Files native App

I honestly can’t believe that M1 iPad Pros from 2021, which as a device, feels even Pro-er that the MacBook, is incapable of changing a simple file extension. I mean do I need a computer to do that? Please, I don’t accept a “Create a Shortcut” solution, COME ON! Is a simple thing that ALL files manager should do! Is a Pro device, not an Almost-Pro one.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 8:34 PM

I don’t think you took a look at my question. I don’t need to rename nor to re-arrange a file. That’s is easy. What I wan to do is only to change its extension (e.g. .jpeg to .jpg) which is a simple action any computer or decent file app can do.

8 replies

Aug 3, 2021 2:10 AM in response to Jonathan.Lerma

As you have discovered, changing a file’s filename extension under iOS/iPadOS isn’t possible. Drawing direct comparison between full “desktop” Operating Systems and iOS/iPadOS is problematic as they are fundamentally different - in particular in the manner that they are designed to interact with the User.

As you are doubtless aware, the filename extension is used to identify specific the specific file-type - and the Apps that will “open” a file for viewing. Whilst a full desktop OS permits renaming of a file and its extension, this creates opportunity to inappropriately alter a filename extension.

iOS/iPadOS does not provide the facility to alter file extensions. File extensions are just one element of the underlying filesystem that is effectively hidden from the User - the OS being designed to internally manage its filesystem and file associations. When accessing a file, iOS/iPadOS will open the [internally associated] App that is capable of reading the file - either directly or via the system share-sheet.

The Files App provides limited access to internal file storage, iOS/iPadOS does not expose its actual filesystem; this is architecturally “sandboxed” such that individual Apps can only access their own area of the filesystem.

If you wish to change a file-extension, you must do using a different computer. You should be mindful that changing the extension may cause the file to become unreadable by an iOS/iPadOS device - as, the device will attempt to open the file using the App inferred by the extension if a corresponding App is installed.

Apple do invite constructive comments and feedback via their product feedback pages:

https://www.apple.com/feedback

Aug 2, 2021 8:46 PM in response to TheLittles

What? Do you think I didn’t do that before writing here? Come on, it DOES NOT CHANGE THE FILE EXTENSION BY PRESSING ON THE FILE AND CHANGING ITS NAME, it only add a .jpg or whatever other extension you use to the name of the file, and then it continues to have its extension. So a file a change from PHOTO.jpeg to JPG will look like this: PHOTO.jpg.jpeg WHICH IS ABSURD, you go ahead and try!

Aug 2, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Jonathan.Lerma

Jonathan.Lerma Said:

"Change file extension within Files native App: I honestly can’t believe that M1 iPad Pros from 2021, which as a device, feels even Pro-er that the MacBook, is incapable of changing a simple file extension. I mean do I need a computer to do that?"

-------

Create a Duplicate First:

Important: Create a duplicate of the file so that you can have the original file (on a Mac, you right-click on the file, and then select "Duplicate"). On an iPad, copy and then past it elsewhere.

Renaming a File:

1. Go here: Use the Files App on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Organize your files
  3. As it Reads: "rename the files and folders you already have when you press firmly on them."

Aug 3, 2021 1:24 AM in response to TheLittles

Jonathan.Lerma Said:

"Change file extension within Files native App

———-

Some Extra Links of Mine for Reference:

Aug 3, 2021 1:42 PM in response to LotusPilot

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to explain what lies underneath the problem. Although some how I suspect this issue could be addressed within the framework of reference in which the file system is handled within iOS/iPadOS without compromising security nor coherence. In the meantime I have already found a workaround for this kind of problem and, of course, it does includes a computer for it. I appreciate your replay. Thanks you!

Aug 2, 2021 8:43 PM in response to Jonathan.Lerma

Jonathan.Lerma Said:

"Change file extension within Files native App: don’t think you took a look at my question. I don’t need to rename nor to re-arrange a file. That’s is easy. What I wan to do is only to change its extension (e.g. .jpeg to .jpg) which is a simple action any computer or decent file app can do."

-------

What to Do:

So, press firmly on the file, and modify its extension.

Change file extension within Files native App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.