Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download folder on Macbook is empty but still uses hard drive space

Hi

Here is what happened:

1. I tried to download a huge file from Google Drive onto Downloads folder on my Macbook Pro (macOS Mojave) which failed as I run out of disk space on my computer.
  2. I deleted all the files in the Downloads folder, emptied the Bin, but "Get info" on the Downloads folder shows that there is still 80GB in that folder / 1 item which I assume is the file I tried to download.
  3. Where is that file? How do I empty the Downloads folder when there are no files for me to select?
  4. Thank you for your help in advance.

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 7:48 PM

See if there are any hidden items within the folder. You can toggle viewing hidden items on/off by using the following key combination with an open Finder window:

Command + Shift + Period/Dot

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/show-hidden-files-mac-3520878/

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 3, 2021 4:36 PM in response to kkkoor

Hello kkkoor,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're seeing inconsistent storage info, and reviewing the Related Article Free up storage space on your Mac was a great step. We're happy to assist from here.

Did you restart the Mac after you emptied the Trash? If not, taking that step might help.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

Also, does the storage in the Downloads folder change if you boot into safe mode?

Start up your Mac in safe mode

We look forward to hearing the result.

Aug 4, 2021 8:10 AM in response to kkkoor

kkkoor,

Thanks for following up with us after trying those steps.

If you search your Mac with Spotlight, does that file appear anywhere else, such as Google Drive or iCloud Drive, etc.?

Search with Spotlight on Mac

If not, we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. They may be able to screen share to dig a little deeper into this with you. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: 

Get Support

Have a great day.

Aug 3, 2021 5:55 PM in response to Erin_B11

Hi

Thank you for your suggestions.

• Yes, I had restarted my computer a few times but no change. 

• Weirdly, the Download folder size has increased overnight (it now shows 85GB but still no sign of any files) - so I'm not sure if the files are still downloading somewhere. I used Google Chrome browser to download from Google Drive but under the Downloads tab on the browser there is no downloading activity.

• After reading your comment, I tried the Safe Mode option you suggested, but no change.

• However, I had the same issue with Movies folder - yesterday "Get info" on the Movies folder showed 90GB but when I checked each folder individually inside the Movies folder it was 35GB in total. After using the Safe Mode option it seems it had fixed the problem with Movies folder but not with Downloads folder.

Any additional suggestions?

Download folder on Macbook is empty but still uses hard drive space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.