Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Process failing in DiskUtility

Hi There,

I am using Big Sur 11.5 on a MacBook Pro 2019 model.

One of my Seagate Backup Plus Slim 5TB got corrupted so I backed up the data through a recovery software.

However after the backup while trying to Erase and create a new filesystem layout (APFS or any other) through diskutility gives an internal error -69488.

Can you please guide if there is a way out?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 15″, 11.4

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 10:07 AM

Well, that additional information would have helped if disclosed in first posting. Failure to provide accurate and complete information will led to inaccurate assistance.

Would suggest Repartitioning the Drive as Single partition and then reformat as HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map. Then reformat to APFS again with GUID Partition Map.

If that does not work - the drive may have failed as they do from time to time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 10:07 AM in response to oshomysteryschool

Well, that additional information would have helped if disclosed in first posting. Failure to provide accurate and complete information will led to inaccurate assistance.

Would suggest Repartitioning the Drive as Single partition and then reformat as HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map. Then reformat to APFS again with GUID Partition Map.

If that does not work - the drive may have failed as they do from time to time.

Erase Process failing in DiskUtility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.