Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos from my Mac without deleting from iCloud?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 12:44 PM

As the others have pointed out iCloud synchronises the libraris accross your devices. What is on one is on all, what is deleted from one is deleted from all.

If you are looking to save space on your mac (is that what you are trying to do?) then you have three options.

1 - Disable iCloud photos. Then you can delete what you want on your mac without affecting iCloud and your other devices. But then you need a new way to transfer pictures to your mac.

2 - Move the library to an external drive:

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

3 - Turn on "optimise mac storage" Then the full size masters are not stored on your mac - only thumbnails and previews. This can dramatically reduce the space taken by your library, and full size masters are downloaded only when needed, eg to edit or export. Bear in mind if you set this, then masters are not moved from your mac immediatly - only when it is running out of space.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 12:44 PM in response to Ronasara

As the others have pointed out iCloud synchronises the libraris accross your devices. What is on one is on all, what is deleted from one is deleted from all.

If you are looking to save space on your mac (is that what you are trying to do?) then you have three options.

1 - Disable iCloud photos. Then you can delete what you want on your mac without affecting iCloud and your other devices. But then you need a new way to transfer pictures to your mac.

2 - Move the library to an external drive:

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

3 - Turn on "optimise mac storage" Then the full size masters are not stored on your mac - only thumbnails and previews. This can dramatically reduce the space taken by your library, and full size masters are downloaded only when needed, eg to edit or export. Bear in mind if you set this, then masters are not moved from your mac immediatly - only when it is running out of space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.