Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi is too slow need help

what to do if my wifi is too slow to download the update for my iphone that is disabled and needs to connect to itunes my iphone only stays in recovery mode for 15 mins but the update is going to take 60 mins

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 1:23 PM

10 replies

Aug 3, 2021 2:42 PM in response to Axzg

I guess I've never tried that but I think it should work. If you let iTunes download the update, it shouldn't need the iPhone to be connected as it is downloading it to the computer, not the iPhone.

I guess you could run the experiment:

1. Start the download on iTunes
  2. Write down the remaining time to download
  3. Disconnect the iPhone
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Reconnect the iPhone
  6. Check that the remaining time decreased by about 15 minutes (it won't be exactly 15 minutes, but it should be close to it)
  7. If the remaining time has decreased, you can disconnect your iPhone
  8. Once fully downloaded, reconnect your iPhone and click Update

If the remaining time doesn't change in step 6, it means that the iPhone must stay connected.

Let me know how this works out.

Aug 3, 2021 1:44 PM in response to 6x6

its always this slow, can i connect my phone to itunes then pause the update before it disconnects then keep it dowenloading until nearly done then connect it back to itunes ? will this work ? or does the phone need to be connecting all the time for it to put it onto the phone ? im confused sorry for probably sounding dumb

Aug 3, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Axzg

Let me reassure you: there are no dumb questions on this forum and we are always happy to help.

Now, I'm the one confused: You talk about downloading an update and at the same time you mention that your phone is disabled and needs to be restored.

If you need to do both, you have to start with restoring your iPhone and, for this, you need to use iTunes and you must let it finish. You cannot disconnect your iPhone while it is being restored. Once you iPhone is restored, you can proceed with the update.

Now, the recovery mode doesn't use Wi-Fi as far as I know. So your Wi-Fi has nothing to do with the recovery process.

Could you confirm that my understanding of your situation is correct?

Aug 3, 2021 2:34 PM in response to 6x6

it says restore and update on itunes so i have clicked that now it is downloading a software update for the iphone but if i disconnect my phone after 15 mins then let the download continue and at the 10 min mark before it is finished can i connect back to itunes and finish it off or does my phone need to be connected for the whole time

wifi is too slow need help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.