Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why wont my external dvd player work on the latest mac?

Why won't my Apple external DVD player work on the latest Mac ?

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 6:42 PM

Can you describe the symptoms? Also, we have to assume your are running macOS 11 Big Sur. Are we correct?

Apple says it needs to be connected directly to the computer, not a hub. Another common error is the it is not clear which side is up, so that is something to check.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 6:42 PM in response to Totty63

Can you describe the symptoms? Also, we have to assume your are running macOS 11 Big Sur. Are we correct?

Apple says it needs to be connected directly to the computer, not a hub. Another common error is the it is not clear which side is up, so that is something to check.

Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2021 9:25 PM in response to Totty63

I plug it into the USB adapter

As Allan mentioned, you need to plug it directly into the Mac, not an adapter.

And, software is rarely included with a DVD player. You simply insert a DVD and use the DVD player app on the Mac to play it. Or, if it is a format that the Mac does not recognize, you can download and use VLC which will play about any format.

Also note that the DVD player will not show on your desktop screen - what should show is the DVD you insert as long as you have that option set in your Finder preferences.

Aug 3, 2021 9:38 PM in response to babowa

As Allan mentioned, you need to plug it directly into the Mac, not an adapter.

Unfortunately, the adapter is a necessary evil for a 2021 iMac and its USB-C ports. The Supderdrive is USB2 with USB A connectors.

Totty,

Did you just buy the SuperDrive or have you owned it a while?

I've used external optical drives on Macs since before the PowerPC models and none of the drives or computers required software. The ability to see optical drives has been built into the Mac OS for at least three decades..

The Apple USB SuperDrive was developed in 2008 and its last update and renaming was June 2012. We are seeing more reports of that drive not working with modern Macs. I recommend you contact Apple support. It is likely the drive is not getting enough power from the USB port.

Aug 3, 2021 10:05 PM in response to Totty63

Thanks to both of you - I don't have a 2020 or 2021 Mac.......

I'm wondering if it's the fact that it is USB 2 and not getting enough power. I've seen other posts where it worked as long as it was self-powered having its own power supply. I have an OWC external player/burner and it works fine - has its own power supply.

why wont my external dvd player work on the latest mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.