Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forgot activation lock password ipad

Sorry, I am 70 years old and no nothing about how to fix ipads. I have an ipad 2 that I have had for years that I use to read books. Recently it said activation lock. I do not know remember the password. The screen gives me an email address. Is this correct or an example?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 10:51 AM

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent. The Activation Lock password is the Apple ID associated with the device. That usually takes the form of an email address, though other formats are possible. The Activation Lock prompt will display a hint; showing a letter and part of the email address. If you have forgotten the Apple ID or its password, here are links to what Apple suggests:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

If you’ve forgotten it all and cannot recover access to the Apple ID, which means you can’t get around the Activation Lock, then you’ll need the purchase receipt and a discussion directly with Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 10:51 AM in response to tlcoop58

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent. The Activation Lock password is the Apple ID associated with the device. That usually takes the form of an email address, though other formats are possible. The Activation Lock prompt will display a hint; showing a letter and part of the email address. If you have forgotten the Apple ID or its password, here are links to what Apple suggests:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

If you’ve forgotten it all and cannot recover access to the Apple ID, which means you can’t get around the Activation Lock, then you’ll need the purchase receipt and a discussion directly with Apple Support.

forgot activation lock password ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.