Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't add person. Stuck on updating

I am trying to add a person to 'People' on my Photos app on my Mac Book Pro. It keeps saying Photos is updating and will finish when the computer is plugged in and Photos is in the background. I have had it plugged in and put in the background for days. I have restarted; closed Photos; still nothing ...still says updating.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 8:19 AM

I have 13,000+ photos. I was inspired to try a search for the person in photos without trying to select him in 'people'. That brought up many photos that I had tagged in the past. I then went back to people and the message had disappeared and I was able to double click on him and get the pictures. In this way, I was able to add 2 other people that were stuck 'updating'. Maybe I have too many pictures?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 8:19 AM in response to mario49

I have 13,000+ photos. I was inspired to try a search for the person in photos without trying to select him in 'people'. That brought up many photos that I had tagged in the past. I then went back to people and the message had disappeared and I was able to double click on him and get the pictures. In this way, I was able to add 2 other people that were stuck 'updating'. Maybe I have too many pictures?

Aug 5, 2021 7:41 AM in response to Gbunk

Hey Gbunk,

If we understand correctly, Photos will not add a person because it is stuck updating. How many photos do you have in the Library?

Are you able to add a person manually? Is this happening with all people?

Find and identify photos of people using Photos on Mac

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Photos won't add person. Stuck on updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.