Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto image export issue

Since a recent Big Sur iOS upgrade I find that I am unable to successfully export RAW, (orf) files to a hard drive or memory stick. Has anyone else encountered this issue or can anyone suggest a fix?

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 11:14 PM

Had the same issue. After three phone calls to Apple Support, we figured out that the problem potentially lies with 11.5.2 compatibility with exFAT. When the ext drive is formatted with APFS, the exports work. Zero file size with exFAT. I used to be able to do this all the time until now. Something seems to have broken. I can however download locally and copy out, just like what you did. Not a solution for me as I need to clear out iCloud for space reclamation. Might have to steer clear from Photos for now.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2021 11:14 PM in response to Jollygoodglyn

Had the same issue. After three phone calls to Apple Support, we figured out that the problem potentially lies with 11.5.2 compatibility with exFAT. When the ext drive is formatted with APFS, the exports work. Zero file size with exFAT. I used to be able to do this all the time until now. Something seems to have broken. I can however download locally and copy out, just like what you did. Not a solution for me as I need to clear out iCloud for space reclamation. Might have to steer clear from Photos for now.

Aug 5, 2021 11:56 AM in response to Jollygoodglyn

Hi

Which version of Big Sur do you have? (Latest is 11.5.1).

Which camera are the raw files from?

Are you trying to export the actual raw file via "export unmodified original" Or are you trying to export a "developed" jpg from the raw file via "export"

Or are you trying to drag/drop?

What happens when you try to export - what do you do step by step, what happens at each step? Any error messages?

Aug 5, 2021 12:30 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Big Sur 11.5.1 (and I’ve checked this evening for most recent update).

unmodified files, so jpeg and raw copies usually get transferred across and I’m doing no different than I have been for 18 months.

I open iphotos

select images

File-Export

Export unmodified files

Files appear to transfer.

Export complete

Open Hard Drive and see new files are present but no thumbnail

Double an image and jpeg says nothing in file. Orf says file may be truncated or photoshop doesn’t recognise the file. (I could be more specific on the wording if required).

Aug 5, 2021 12:51 PM in response to Jollygoodglyn

Hi, no more detail on error messages not needed. Something obviously going wrong. Sorry - I have further questions.

Is the problem with all files or just some. Again, which camera are the ORF files from?

Are you able to edit the files that won't export? If you do, can you then export.

Can you do a normal export rather than unmodified?

Can you export successfully to your system drive, rather than the EHD?

Do you use a referenced library? (Photos NOT set to copy items to library on import)?

Or do you use iCloud photos with "optimise mac storage" set?

Where is your library stored? On your system drive, or on an external drive. If external, what is the format?

Have you ever used cleanup/speedup apps (eg clean my mac), or duplicate removal apps - if so, which ones.

Aug 5, 2021 1:14 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Is the problem with all files or just some.

-Any files I try to export

Again, which camera are the ORF files from?

I use an Olympus Omd-Em1 mk11

Are you able to edit the files that won't export? If you do, can you then export.

i can edit in Iphotos and can export the jpeg.

Can you do a normal export rather than unmodified? - Yes

Can you export successfully to your system drive, rather than the EHD? Yes I exported to creative cloud and then to hard drive.

Do you use a referenced library? (Photos NOT set to copy items to library on import)?

I don’t think so.

Or do you use iCloud photos with "optimise mac storage" set? Yes

Where is your library stored? On your system drive, or on an external drive. If external, what is the format?

iCloud with a Seagate Backup Plus which once exported I can edit in photoshop. (Would welcome advise on a more efficient storage method).

Have you ever used cleanup/speedup apps (eg clean my mac), or duplicate removal apps - if so, which ones. - No

Aug 5, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Jollygoodglyn

OK - if you are using optimise mac storage, your originals are not stored on your mac, only in iCloud.

They should be downloaded as needed for exporting. But perhaps that is not happening quickly enough. If you edit a photo, that will force a download. So will doing a normal export.

If you export unmodified immediately after a normal export of the same image, does it work?

You also say you export to creative cloud OK. Do you mean you can export your raw files to creative cloud. What does that look like - is it possible creative cloud is interfering with iCloud perhaps (I'm not familiar with creative cloud). In any case, is that workflow a solution to your problem of getting the raw files to the EHD?

Oh - and your library is always local on your mac - as well as being in iCloud. Normally in your pictures folder. Is that the case here?

iPhoto image export issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.