Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air's battery health is 99% after just 14 cycles.

I recently bought a MacBook Air M1. It has been just 1 month since I bought it and now it is showing 99% of battery health. Is it alarming? Is my MacBook faulty?. At this rate my battery health will be at 80% in just 280 cycles instead of apple advertised 1000 cycles.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 6:45 AM

Yes.. But I have heard of people having 99% of maximum capacity after 1 year of their use, mine reached 99% in just 1 month.

11 replies

Aug 26, 2021 4:54 AM in response to suyashjoshi

I use two Macbook Pro M1s with the same configurations. I have the same problem with the batteries. I have never seen this level of wear out.

I know batteries wear out like tyres wear out. However, speed of wear out is really high for the M1 batteries.

Also, battery time drops. I can't see 18-hr battery time anymore.

I also have a 13-inch MBP w/ Intel and the wear out level is normal (battery was replaced recently).

Aug 6, 2021 4:32 AM in response to suyashjoshi

No. I wouldn't worry about it.

macOS manages battery health now.

How battery health management helps

The battery health management feature in macOS 10.15.5 

is designed to improve your battery's lifespan by reducing the rate at which it chemically ages.

The feature does this by monitoring your battery's temperature history and its charging patterns.

Based on the measurements that it collects, battery health management may reduce

your battery's maximum charge when in this mode.

This happens as needed to ensure that your battery charges to a level that's optimized for your usage

—reducing wear on the battery, and slowing its chemical aging.

Battery health management also uses the measurements to calculate when your battery needs service.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094?cid=mc-ols-energy_saver-article_ht211094-macos_ui-04022020

Aug 6, 2021 4:40 AM in response to suyashjoshi

Batteries are considered Consumable Products. Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced. The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 and Big Sur If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

A feature introduced into Big Sur was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS. It is perfectly Normal for Big Sur to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level. One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%. From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

M1 MacBook Air's battery health is 99% after just 14 cycles.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.