Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install macOS Big Sur stuck after I hit "Continue". Spinning Beach Ball

I have tried the install on a few different macs that we have (2015, 2017, and 2020 M1). Issue is that it keeps getting stuck when trying to update, and if I open activity monitor "Install macOS Big Sur" is not responding.

I have tried re-installing existing OS (Catalina), NVRAM reset, rebooted multiple times, ect.

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 6:07 AM

I have fixed the issue.

There seems to be an issue downloading the actual update. I tried multiple things all at once and finally it fixed it, so not sure exactly what helped but this is what I did.

Steps to fix:

1. Create a new local Admin.
  2. Put any existing Install macOS Big Sur in the trash and empty the trash.
  3. Reboot laptop and run a NVRAM/PRAM reset.
  4. Shut down Mac and start up in Safe Mode.
  5. Log into new local Admin account.
  6. Open App Store and search for Big Sur. Select "Get". This will open System Preferences > Software Update.
  7. Start downloading Mac OS Big Sur. Once it gets to 12.44GB/12.44GB downloaded, disconnect WiFi for 20 seconds. Reconnect WiFI.

This ended up fixing it for me. The beach ball was no longer there when I press Continue, and I finally got a progress bar on the "Install MacOS Big Sur".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2021 6:07 AM in response to 41dmb

I have fixed the issue.

There seems to be an issue downloading the actual update. I tried multiple things all at once and finally it fixed it, so not sure exactly what helped but this is what I did.

Steps to fix:

1. Create a new local Admin.
  2. Put any existing Install macOS Big Sur in the trash and empty the trash.
  3. Reboot laptop and run a NVRAM/PRAM reset.
  4. Shut down Mac and start up in Safe Mode.
  5. Log into new local Admin account.
  6. Open App Store and search for Big Sur. Select "Get". This will open System Preferences > Software Update.
  7. Start downloading Mac OS Big Sur. Once it gets to 12.44GB/12.44GB downloaded, disconnect WiFi for 20 seconds. Reconnect WiFI.

This ended up fixing it for me. The beach ball was no longer there when I press Continue, and I finally got a progress bar on the "Install MacOS Big Sur".

Install macOS Big Sur stuck after I hit "Continue". Spinning Beach Ball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.