Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install macOS on a wiped hard drive...

So, I'm trying to install macOS on my father's freshly wiped iMac mid 2011, I had tried a couple of things after I had accidentally formatted it to APFS which is not supported by macOS high sierra. So, I tried removing it and repartitioning the disk to macOS extended which worked. After then booting into internet recovery and attempting to install mac OS X it fails because: "a recovery system cannot be created". So, I decide to boot it of a USB stick with macOS high sierra on it. I prepared the USB, plugged it in, rebooted, held option(alt)... but for some reason it continues to attempt the mac OS X install that fails consistently. Now my question is how can cancel the mac OS X installation and procced with booting of the USB?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 8:01 AM

Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer. Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ). The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map. Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2021 8:01 AM in response to tim2939

Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer. Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ). The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map. Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Trying to install macOS on a wiped hard drive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.