Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Iphone SE 2020 battery draining very fast

Is it normal for a new Iphone SE 2020 battery to need a charge after 24 hours with minimal use?

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 8:47 AM

Hi. It depends what you would describe as minimal use. The battery in this model is not as powerful as it perhaps it should be. I have had the SE 2020 since release and unfortunately, battery performance for me it is the Achilles Heel of what is otherwise a fantastic phone. I am not a "power user" so don't have a big problem with the battery and it certainly gets me through an average day (for me).

However you could try following the Apple guidelines to maximise the battery between charges ("Maximising Battery Life and Lifespan").

And consider:

• Making sure you have latest iOS update (mine is currently 14.7.1)
  • Turning off wi fi and bluetooth when not required
  • Turning on Low Power Mode in Settings/Battery
  • If its brand new and you are concerned about this matter - return for replacement/refund.

Personally I have the wifi on but only select bluetooth when I need it - earphones, transferring activity data from watch.

Regards

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2021 8:47 AM in response to Robin_849

Hi. It depends what you would describe as minimal use. The battery in this model is not as powerful as it perhaps it should be. I have had the SE 2020 since release and unfortunately, battery performance for me it is the Achilles Heel of what is otherwise a fantastic phone. I am not a "power user" so don't have a big problem with the battery and it certainly gets me through an average day (for me).

However you could try following the Apple guidelines to maximise the battery between charges ("Maximising Battery Life and Lifespan").

And consider:

• Making sure you have latest iOS update (mine is currently 14.7.1)
  • Turning off wi fi and bluetooth when not required
  • Turning on Low Power Mode in Settings/Battery
  • If its brand new and you are concerned about this matter - return for replacement/refund.

Personally I have the wifi on but only select bluetooth when I need it - earphones, transferring activity data from watch.

Regards

Sep 12, 2021 1:45 PM in response to hot2chef

I just got a new iphone se. I would have thought Apple would have fixed this battery problem by now. I haven’t had the chance to get to verizon to transfer cell service yet and I am seeing this phone drain at least 10% a day, turned off. I always set my devices up to maximize battery life and currently have all apps set off and it still drains. Is there a fix to this or should the phone be returned? I switched from a flip phone (finally) to this device thinking it would be reliable. 10% battery drain daily, with no service and no activity isn’t reliable.

Sep 13, 2021 5:51 AM in response to A Cortez

Hi A Cortez

First of all its not a battery problem as such - it's just not as powerful a battery as could have been used - I suppose to keep the cost down. Only Apple know the answer to that. As I'm not flat out with my phone all day it isn't such an issue for me.

As regards the 10% you use - this is just your phone doing phone things behind the scenes. It uses power whether you are making calls or not.

I have had the SE 2020 when first released and I just checked my Battery Health in settings and see that I am at 93% max capacity which is not bad.

I am in UK so cannot comment on your cell phone provider, etc. However, reading your comment I wouldn't be too concerned - but as always, if not happy return it.

You could post something on this site and maybe someone would have more to add that may be of use.

Have a good day

Sep 26, 2021 11:47 PM in response to Robin_849

Hi. That does sound strange. You could check in “settings/display and brightness” and reduce brightness ( I have mine set to automatic). Check raise to wake is off and Lock Screen is minute or less.

Just as matter of interest, I checked my top users for last 10 days and they are Safari, BBC Sounds and Spotify (Home and Lock Screen down at 2%).

If you tap the Battery Activity (blue text), it will show duration of use so might give you some idea of how it’s affecting battery usage.

Hope this is of some use - but you could also get in touch with Apple Support.

(Incidently, you know you can easily check and adjust screen brightness by opening control centre by swiping upwards from bottom of screen?)

Sep 27, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Robin_849

Hi again. Not sure what else to suggest - the only other thing that occurs to me might be that you have loads of notifications waking up your screen when it’s asleep? You can turn off notifications for apps that you don’t want to do this in settings.

You could also try to start a new post within the support community regarding this apparent heavy battery usage by the Home and Lock Screen and see if someone can offer a solution.

Best wishes

New Iphone SE 2020 battery draining very fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.