Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other section in my mac is too big

My total mac storage is about 245gigs, but my others section takes up 203gigs of it. It wasn't this big before but suddenly increased a lot, sometimes the others section even increases by itself while I am not doing anything, anyone knows how to remove some of it??

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 1:26 AM

Looking in this method is often misleading and not accurate. Suggest Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac and then check again. It may reduce.

But, if this does not reduce, refer to this See used and available storage space on your Mac and especially this portion and that is the final word on managing the " Other " Category from Apple

• OtherContains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 1:26 AM in response to Woonhyeong

Looking in this method is often misleading and not accurate. Suggest Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac and then check again. It may reduce.

But, if this does not reduce, refer to this See used and available storage space on your Mac and especially this portion and that is the final word on managing the " Other " Category from Apple

• OtherContains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Aug 7, 2021 1:55 AM in response to Woonhyeong

Did not work and in what way ?? Do you mean the usage did not come down ?? If that is so, the suggested methods to verify did confirm the " Other " category represented in you screen shot is accurate.

It further confirms what Apple has said - can not manage this category only the OS can. Hard fact but the only way I know to reduce the Other is the reset the computer and then be very selective as to what is installed.

Other section in my mac is too big

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.