Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2 Battery Draining fast overnight

About a month ago I got this iPhone SE 2 to upgrade from my iPhone 6, Every night my Battery Drains 20-30% Overnight, I've turned off Basically EVERYTHING in Settings and Closed all apps, Put my phone in Low Power mode and Airplane Mode, Still drains 20-30%, I have Optimized Battery Charging on and I don't use the fast Charger, The Battery Capacity is at 100%. What can I do?

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:11 AM

Charge your phone overnight, every night; it’s the best way to maintain battery health. There is never a time when nothing is running on an iPhone; while 20% to 30% is a little higher than normal for overnight if you receive mail and texts, and have notifications enabled it isn’t unusual.

Closing all apps does absolutely nothing, except to slow down your phone, and in the long run use MORE energy, not less. See→Do not close iPhone and iPad 'background'… - Apple Community

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 7:11 AM in response to Carbonated_oxygen1

Charge your phone overnight, every night; it’s the best way to maintain battery health. There is never a time when nothing is running on an iPhone; while 20% to 30% is a little higher than normal for overnight if you receive mail and texts, and have notifications enabled it isn’t unusual.

Closing all apps does absolutely nothing, except to slow down your phone, and in the long run use MORE energy, not less. See→Do not close iPhone and iPad 'background'… - Apple Community

Aug 7, 2021 8:05 AM in response to iPhoneUser147

If you turn on Optimized Charging and charge it overnight it will stop at 80% and the external power source will operate the phone for most of the night, saving the battery. But it’s your phone; if you want to use sub-optimal charging practices that entirely up to you. Here’s a screen shot from just now showing that my phone stopped charging at 80% overnight. Your phone will do the same thing if you follow the suggestion I posted, and it’s easy to prove it to yourself:

Aug 7, 2021 7:18 AM in response to iPhoneUser147

iPhoneUser147 wrote:

Never charge your phone overnight. I had iPhone 7S or Plus i don’t know and i charged overnight like 2 weeks and my battery health was in 96% which back in the days it was new and good phone.

WRONG! ALWAYS charge your battery overnight. The absolute best way to improve the life of your battery long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates.

Aug 7, 2021 8:37 AM in response to iPhoneUser147

iPhoneUser147 wrote:

Me too I unplug it at 80-95%

That is not a good thing to do; in the long run it will shorten the useful life of your battery, because it means that virtually all energy used by your phone will always come from the battery. If you leave it plugged in until it reaches 100% then leave it plugged in longer (or better yet, charge overnight as I posted earlier) once it reaches either 80% (with Optimized Charging enabled) or 100% the external power will run the phone rather than the battery, thus reducing the number of charge cycles.

The “charger” is not the external power supply or the cable; it is built into the phone, and will stop charging at 100% (or 80%) and continue to power the phone.

Aug 7, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

”Apple who MAKES the phone” I love how you must SAY that with CAAAAAPS. I don’t want to argue but it’s my thing and it’s my life and my phone. Even shop repair told me even google told me even my friends told me even my brain told me. Im never going to charge my phone overnight because I know it’s bad and I know that charging to 100% battery health dies faster. Look explain me this: I had iPhone 8 (i loved iphone 8) and it was brand new in 2017 so i charged overnight a lot of my phones and charged them to 100% the battery health dropped to 98% on iPhone 7 Plus in about 2-3 weeks. iphone 8 dropped to 99% in 4 weeks or 5 weeks iphone 7 normal version dropped to 97% at 3 WEEKS AT 3 WEEKS EXPLAIN THIS TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.….…. Sorry i have adhd. I learned my lesson so i didnt chraged my iPhone X and newer versions of iPhone overnight or to 100%. You dont need to believe me. It happened

Aug 7, 2021 9:43 AM in response to iPhoneUser147

I have charged every iPhone I have owned over the past 14 years overnight, every night. I have kept each for 2 to 3 years. I have never had a battery failure, or even had a battery that went below 90%. My current XR is at 95% after 2 1/2 years. So as far as I am concerned it’s a procedure that has worked. And I always have an automatic backup that is less than 24 hours old in case of disaster.

iPhone SE 2 Battery Draining fast overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.