Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS won’t install after erase

what do I do to get my old Mac to reinstall the OS after it was erased?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 3:23 PM

Usually by restoring your backups, but one of the more common causes for folks to be re-installing is failing hardware, and corruptions caused by failing hardware.

Here’s the official details ➡️ How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Here’s another recent thread on El Capitan in an older Mac, but some of the links there will also provide info on other versions ➡️

Impossible to install Mac OS X - Apple Community

Which iMac model year?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 3:23 PM in response to sirbrianthelion

Usually by restoring your backups, but one of the more common causes for folks to be re-installing is failing hardware, and corruptions caused by failing hardware.

Here’s the official details ➡️ How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Here’s another recent thread on El Capitan in an older Mac, but some of the links there will also provide info on other versions ➡️

Impossible to install Mac OS X - Apple Community

Which iMac model year?

Aug 7, 2021 8:13 PM in response to MrHoffman

It’s a 2011, so 10 years old. Not the latest tech, I know.

I found a way to use Carbon Copy Cloner5 to make a copy of the OS on a Mac Airbook with El Captain and then used that to boot the old iMac and used CCC 5 again to put the same image on the iMac HD. It’s still a work in progress. I’m rebooting the iMac now with the new image on the Internal HD, so I’ll let you know if it works.

Mac OS won’t install after erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.