Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My bank says that I don’t have an up to date Safari web browser and that 12.5 is required; I checked my current version is MAC IOS 14.7! What is wrong with my browser and my bank?

What is wrong with my browser?

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 3:52 PM

1. There is no such thing as “Mac iOS.” Its either macOS or iOS. They are 2 very different things. MacOS is for Mac computers, iOS is for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches.
  2. 14.7 would suggest this is happening on an iPhone or iPad. Current iOS version is 14.7.1. If you have not done so, go to Settings->General->Software Update and update to the current version and try again.
  3. Safari on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, has no discreet version, it is updated with the iOS version. If you have the most up to date version of iOS, then you have the most up to date version of Safari for it.
  4. Some websites including Banks and Government sites can mis-identify the Safari version and not allow you to access them even if they may work alright. There’s not much to be done in those cases, as the web developers of such websites would need to update them to correctly identify the browsers. You can always try to use other browsers like Chrome or Firefox on iPhone or iPad and see if that lets you access the website. Otherwise, a computer may be the only way to access the website if its not programmed to correctly identify the iOS version of Safari.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 3:52 PM in response to BankIncredulous

1. There is no such thing as “Mac iOS.” Its either macOS or iOS. They are 2 very different things. MacOS is for Mac computers, iOS is for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches.
  2. 14.7 would suggest this is happening on an iPhone or iPad. Current iOS version is 14.7.1. If you have not done so, go to Settings->General->Software Update and update to the current version and try again.
  3. Safari on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, has no discreet version, it is updated with the iOS version. If you have the most up to date version of iOS, then you have the most up to date version of Safari for it.
  4. Some websites including Banks and Government sites can mis-identify the Safari version and not allow you to access them even if they may work alright. There’s not much to be done in those cases, as the web developers of such websites would need to update them to correctly identify the browsers. You can always try to use other browsers like Chrome or Firefox on iPhone or iPad and see if that lets you access the website. Otherwise, a computer may be the only way to access the website if its not programmed to correctly identify the iOS version of Safari.

Aug 8, 2021 11:26 AM in response to BankIncredulous

Safari is installed as part of the operating system and it normally it cannot be individually upgraded. It is periodically updated when the computer's operating system is updated or upgraded. This is not an unusual situation. The reason is that web site engineers write their software to work with specific browsers and specific versions of them. You can hope that your web site's developers eventually update their site to work with Safari, or you can use another browser that does work such as Firefox or Chrome. They can be individually updated as needed. Finally, even if you are able to update Safari, there is no guarantee that it will be compatible with every web site.

My bank says that I don’t have an up to date Safari web browser and that 12.5 is required; I checked my current version is MAC IOS 14.7! What is wrong with my browser and my bank?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.