Related Article: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I delete APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media when selling my MAC

Should I delete APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media in Disk Utility when selling my MAC desktop?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 12:01 PM

see this apple support page: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

7 replies

Aug 8, 2021 12:22 PM in response to LindaSusanB

that is the container that the macOS as well as the user's data resides. after you erase the drive and re-install macOS, DO NOT proceed with setup assistant. let the next owner do that.

see step 7 of the article again:

once you erase and re-install macOS you will always see "APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media" but your data will no longer be on the mac.

Aug 8, 2021 12:06 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thank you for the response! I actually followed all of the steps in that article, but after loading the operating system, another screen popped up with APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media in the Disk Utility, so I'm at a standstill as to whether I delete it or leave it. There is nothing in the instructions about what to do in this situation. Thanks!

Aug 8, 2021 4:13 PM in response to LindaSusanB

Unfortunately Apple's instructions assume you are using an SSD or the hard drive is encrypted using Filevault. Just using a simple erase on a hard drive still leaves your personal files accessible to someone using a data recovery app. I suggest you first enable Filevault on the system and let it complete the encryption process. This could easily take a couple of days.

Then while booted to a macOS installer launch Disk Utility and select the physical drive on the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the physical drive as described in the Apple article. There is no need to unlock Filevault when selecting the physical drive to erase. If you don't first encrypt the hard drive, then you should instead write zeroes to the whole drive in order to destroy your personal files. If booting a macOS 10.13+ installer you will need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility.

Should I delete APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 Media when selling my MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.