Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone will not ring when I get calls. Checked all the items suggested. Not sure what to do now.

My iPhone will not ring when I get calls. I’ve checked all of the items suggested. Not sure what to do now.

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 4:11 PM

I am not sure which ALL of the items suggested you have reviewed or tried so I will be listing them again and you can pick and choose the ones that you haven’t tried.

1. Check to see that the Silent switch is not set to ON. Silent switch is located on the Top Left Sideof your iPhone.
  2. Open Settings  Sounds & Haptics  Ringer and Alerts : Make sure this is not set to OFF or too Low. Set Change with Buttons to OFF. Below that Make sure that there is a Ringtone selected.
  3. Check to see that Do Not Disturb is set to OFF. Open Settings  Do Not Disturb : Set this to OFF
  4. Check to see that Silence Unknown Callers is set to OFF. Open Settings  Phone  Silence Unknown Callers : Set this to OFF
  5. Make sure that a ringer sound is assigned. Open Settings  Sounds & Haptics  Ringtone : Ensure that a Ringtone is assigned here.
  6. If all of the above is OK on your iPhone then Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:
    • Press and quickly release Volume UP button
    • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
    • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2021 4:11 PM in response to gilda230

I am not sure which ALL of the items suggested you have reviewed or tried so I will be listing them again and you can pick and choose the ones that you haven’t tried.

1. Check to see that the Silent switch is not set to ON. Silent switch is located on the Top Left Sideof your iPhone.
  2. Open Settings  Sounds & Haptics  Ringer and Alerts : Make sure this is not set to OFF or too Low. Set Change with Buttons to OFF. Below that Make sure that there is a Ringtone selected.
  3. Check to see that Do Not Disturb is set to OFF. Open Settings  Do Not Disturb : Set this to OFF
  4. Check to see that Silence Unknown Callers is set to OFF. Open Settings  Phone  Silence Unknown Callers : Set this to OFF
  5. Make sure that a ringer sound is assigned. Open Settings  Sounds & Haptics  Ringtone : Ensure that a Ringtone is assigned here.
  6. If all of the above is OK on your iPhone then Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:
    • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Aug 11, 2021 9:07 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hi, I followed steps 1-5, and all settings match your instructions.

As for the restart...

• "Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). "|

I pressed and held the side button, and did not release it when invited to slide power off. The Apple Logo never appeared, instead I got a "enter your passcode - your fingerprint is not recognized" message. After that, I was back on the home screen.

I did this a few times. During one occasion while holding the side button, an alert appeared briefly informing me that "silent mode is on" - - even though the silent switch is not on.

As an unrelated/unrelated issue I have been unable to get a tone to play when making a call (pressing a number on the keypad).

That said, I just tested it now... and, go figure! it is playing a tone when I use the keypad. -- but it hasn't for a day or two.

Also, sometimes when (trying to) use the phone keypad, there is a small orange dot displayed at the very top of the screen. Never saw it before a couple of days ago.

I am using iOS 14.7.1

I've read more help articles about this then I ever wanted to ; ). .. and it is driving me crazy to not hear incoming calls.

Thanks for any pointers you may have!

Aug 12, 2021 8:18 AM in response to Apple Picker

The restart involves all three steps listed below:

As far as the Orange Dot is concerned, that is an awareness feature of iOS 14.x.x. It is there to inform you that the Microphone is in use by an app. In your example, it is the phone app when you attempt to make a call or when you receive a call.

Axel F.

My phone will not ring when I get calls. Checked all the items suggested. Not sure what to do now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.