Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s download firmware update directly with download manager & then install with iTunes?

Hi everyone.

Just spent a wasted 15 minutes with Apple suppport Rep in chat and we just went round in circles - completely useless. The rep just blamed my internet which I know is completely false.

I have an iPhone 6s which I use to tether my devices to for internet (I gave a unmetered all the data you can eat) sim and it works fine.

There is an update available for my iphone that is 4.35gb in size.

Downloading this via iTunes it says will take 11 hours.

I can download a 5gb DVD in around an hour and twenty minutes using a Internet Download manager.

I was trying to ask the char rep if I can download the update file directly to my laptop (just like any other download) using my Internet Download manager, and then simply import it into iTunes to install it on my iPhone.

Its a simple yes or no question but the chat rep was no help at all.

Can this be done?

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 10:26 AM

Apple doesn't support direct IPSW downloads and if you speak to Apple they will likely only be allowed to advise you within the constraints of what are official methods. Once you start going outside the realms of what is officially sanctioned then you can't expect anything to work in particular. If you can get it to work then great, but if you can't then you're on your own or whatever assistance you can find on the wild Internet. You can't expect mush assistance Apple itself or from this forum since we too have to abide by Apple terms and conditions for its use.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 10:26 AM in response to Event2020

Apple doesn't support direct IPSW downloads and if you speak to Apple they will likely only be allowed to advise you within the constraints of what are official methods. Once you start going outside the realms of what is officially sanctioned then you can't expect anything to work in particular. If you can get it to work then great, but if you can't then you're on your own or whatever assistance you can find on the wild Internet. You can't expect mush assistance Apple itself or from this forum since we too have to abide by Apple terms and conditions for its use.

Aug 9, 2021 11:12 AM in response to Limnos

Hi and thank you for such a quick reply.

If only the chat rep had simply said no, that is not possible...

I don't understand Apples mindset over things like this as its not as if I want to do something illegal.

They could allow direct downloads and have iTunes do the install after checking the downloaded file is genuine

but hey, that would make users lives too easy.

When the time comes to upgrade my phone in the next six months or so I wont be getting another iPhone.

Spending nearly £1000 on a phone that takes 11 hours to update, **** no.

Thanks again.

iPhone 6s download firmware update directly with download manager & then install with iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.