You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I determine my IP address?

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 1:21 PM

The Public IP address can be used to ascertain a location, but it is not a location in and of itself.. That location is somewhat general as its based on what your ISP reports and in most cases it will be the location of their regional internet hub somewhere "near" you. Its been know to be off by many many miles from one's actual location. Sometimes in a different city or even state. So it's not really useful for the locating of someone.

The Public IP address is generally not tied to you in any specific way and most ISPs hand these dynamically so while you may have one now it can be a completely different one tomorrow or 2 days from now depending on how often your router refreshes the connection to your ISP.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2021 1:21 PM in response to Dfmvh4670

The Public IP address can be used to ascertain a location, but it is not a location in and of itself.. That location is somewhat general as its based on what your ISP reports and in most cases it will be the location of their regional internet hub somewhere "near" you. Its been know to be off by many many miles from one's actual location. Sometimes in a different city or even state. So it's not really useful for the locating of someone.

The Public IP address is generally not tied to you in any specific way and most ISPs hand these dynamically so while you may have one now it can be a completely different one tomorrow or 2 days from now depending on how often your router refreshes the connection to your ISP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.