Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD External Hard drive not mounting after 11.3 update

After my upgrade to 11.3 or 11.4 (late May), 2 of the western digital 1TB external drives stopped showing up. They used to work fine before the update. I have another 80GB external drive (samsung) that still works in my mac. I have also used some 32GB flash drives that works fine too. So, my port, hub etc are working fine. The 2 hard drive that is not showing up also works fine in PC. So, they are fine too.

I have made sure external drive is ticked in finder preferences. nothing is showing in disk utility either. When I mount these drives, the light goes on and then nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 1:39 AM

Ok no third party software in play.

The Fat 32 drive was formatted on Apple or Windows PC. Sometimes formatting on Windows PC is not clearly understood on Macs.

The APFS drive - that would have to been done on Apple but fail to see how a Windows PC could even read the drive - user wrote " The 2 hard drive that is not showing up also works fine in PC. So, they are fine too." To possibly remove this drive issue is to connect Directly to the Mac Computer and see if it appears. If not reformat as HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map >> the reformat it again in APFS / GUID and test.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 1:39 AM in response to ShamirMontazid

Ok no third party software in play.

The Fat 32 drive was formatted on Apple or Windows PC. Sometimes formatting on Windows PC is not clearly understood on Macs.

The APFS drive - that would have to been done on Apple but fail to see how a Windows PC could even read the drive - user wrote " The 2 hard drive that is not showing up also works fine in PC. So, they are fine too." To possibly remove this drive issue is to connect Directly to the Mac Computer and see if it appears. If not reformat as HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map >> the reformat it again in APFS / GUID and test.

WD External Hard drive not mounting after 11.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.