You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sim

I recently bought an iPhone XR off a person I know and it says Sim locked and won’t let me add a SIM card

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:30 PM

You or the seller will have to ask the carrier to release the SIM lock.

The carrier may or may not be willing to discuss this unlock with you, or may only be willing to discuss the unlock with the original contract holder.

The carrier may or may not be willing to release the lock, too. Some do. Some don’t.

If the seller has not finished the term of their contract with the carrier, then you’ve seemingly just taken over the remainder, or you’ll be returning the device to the seller for a refund if they’re still available and are amenable.

Or you’re using the carrier network, of course.

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

Only the carrier holding the carrier lock can release it.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2021 5:30 PM in response to Madi_thomas

You or the seller will have to ask the carrier to release the SIM lock.

The carrier may or may not be willing to discuss this unlock with you, or may only be willing to discuss the unlock with the original contract holder.

The carrier may or may not be willing to release the lock, too. Some do. Some don’t.

If the seller has not finished the term of their contract with the carrier, then you’ve seemingly just taken over the remainder, or you’ll be returning the device to the seller for a refund if they’re still available and are amenable.

Or you’re using the carrier network, of course.

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

Only the carrier holding the carrier lock can release it.

Sim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.