Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Movie Library Not Showing in Apple TV App Library on Apple TV... just on Computer app

Just got a new setup and fired up my Apple TV 4K again for the first time in about a year, but I have an issue and can't really find a similar thread online. I've been using a PLEX home server + PLEX app to watch movies, but with all the updates to Apple TV I thought I'd move over things over.

I have numerous movies stored on my external SSD that is connected to my iMac. These movie files have been cleaned and formatted specifically for Apple TV compatibility. I have no problem importing them into the Apple TV app on my iMac and watching them. The movies you see below are my files and they are integrated seamlessly with anything that was purchased.

However, on my Apple TV, these movies don't appear in the movie library within the Apple TV app. The only thing that displays in "Library" is the show I purchased (great show btw).

I've gone through the steps of turning on Home Sharing and checking "Media Sharing". I can then go to the Computer app on Apple TV and view the movies there although the layout is dated compared to the TV app.

My question is this - Is there any way to get your personal library to show in the Apple TV app on Apple TV like it can on your desktop or is there a workaround anyone knows of? I would obviously very much prefer 1 synchronized library of all my movies - personal & purchased.

If not, I don't really follow the limitations Apple has in place for this - splitting out your libraries in two locations just for movies/TV shows. I have some music files kept on the same SSD and imported into Apple Music. Those albums are shown and playable in the Apple Music app on Apple TV seamlessly in a synchronized library.

Why does the Apple TV app not function in the same way? The files are already being pulled into a separate app (Computer), so why not just consolidate? This is a huge downer and I'm likely moving it all back to PLEX if there's no workaround.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:46 PM

Using the Computers app is the currently supported way to access home sharing content.

If you have requests, then you may give feedback to Apple. Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies

Personal Movie Library Not Showing in Apple TV App Library on Apple TV... just on Computer app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.