Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gmail not showing up after install and restore

My computer had a problem, so I put in another hard drive and re-installed Mac OS and did the Migration from a Time Machine backup. It mostly worked, seemed to restore OK, but with one problem:

I have no email in my Gmail folder. It put email messages in an older folder and in Drafts folder.

I believe Time Machine did restore the gmail files to my hard drive. I know email is actually separate files, I found the location. I can double click on a file, open it and read it. 7GB of gmail files have been restored to Library/Mail, to the location below.

/Users/Bono/Library/Mail/V7/7FAC01A1-DA21-45AA-93A8-6E9325D8A5BA/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/059AD660-A620-4116-AA8B-81BAEEDCC52B/Data/0/8/Messages

So I’m thinking the problem is that Mail is not reading some of the mail files. I tried the Rebuild command, but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Now I see that my gmails are there, but they’re in an Archive folder, at the bottom. 

But my In Box emails and my Sent emails are all in one Gmail folder under Archive. So that’s kind of pain.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get my emails into the correct Gmail folder in the Inbox and my sent email into the Gmail Sent folder?

More details:

I was using Sierra.

I installed Mojave on the new hard drive

I have a MacBook Pro - Mid 2012

Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 8:05 PM

Tree_Farmer Said:

"gmail not showing up after install and restore: My computer had a problem, so I put in another hard drive and re-installed Mac OS and did the Migration from a Time Machine backup. It mostly worked, seemed to restore OK, but with one problem[...]"

-------

Use a New App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Sometimes, changes (i.e. reinstalls) are made to the system, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what assigning new App Password it intended to fix). So, for gmail, go here: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 8:05 PM in response to Tree_Farmer

Tree_Farmer Said:

"gmail not showing up after install and restore: My computer had a problem, so I put in another hard drive and re-installed Mac OS and did the Migration from a Time Machine backup. It mostly worked, seemed to restore OK, but with one problem[...]"

-------

Use a New App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Sometimes, changes (i.e. reinstalls) are made to the system, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what assigning new App Password it intended to fix). So, for gmail, go here: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

gmail not showing up after install and restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.