Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airtag draining iphone and ipad pro battery

I bought a set of 4 airtags and use them all … i have an iphone 12pro max and ipad pro 11” 2021 running latest ios… so ive been noticing batteries not lasting like it should… ipad typically takes 38% background activity in 24hr period iphone 12%.. not sure why apple has designed to constantly ping the airtags, why wouldn’t it be an “on demand “ action? For now , work around is to turn off Bluetooth when not needed… a pain, but seems effective… im wondering if i should have ever bought these things? Hopefully Apple will sort this out.. anyone else have any thoughts or solutions?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 9:30 AM

3 replies

Aug 11, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Curly2018

Hello Curly2018,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you have noticed a decrease in your battery life on your iPhone and iPad since using your AirTags nearby.

We’d be happy to help you!

You can refer to Set up your AirTag using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to make sure the AirTags are setup correctly.

We’d recommend leaving feedback for Apple directly through Product Feedback next.

Take care.

Aug 14, 2021 8:41 PM in response to Curly2018

I guess im having this discussion with myself, but have found two workarounds for time being until hopefully Apple decides to acknowledge the issue is affecting quite a few users

1. turning Bluetooth off seems to stop battery drain , but of course this solution isn’t without its shortcomings
  2. Create and register the airtags under a second apple id… 97 % of the time you know where your stuff is and when you dont its usually in relatively close proximity … so only sign into the 2nd apple id when needed.. again, not a perfect solution, especially if item is truly lost only other choice is to shelve the things until Apple decides to fix… hopefully this will help someone like me whos scoured the internet to find noone , including apple has any answers…

Aug 11, 2021 9:52 AM in response to bailier

Thx..they are set up correctly and work just fine… in fact, i have removed them and set up again since the latest ios update …same thing..the issue is battery life of the host device appears significantly impacted….especially the ipad…..im getting the feeling airtags are not such a “finished” product

. I only need them to to ping my items when i ask , not continuously 24/7… im not an expert by any means but seems silly that they are designed this way and I probably would not have bought them had i known this is how they work..

anyone else want to provide meaningful input or enlighten me ?

Airtag draining iphone and ipad pro battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.