Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad - Data recovery cannot be completed

My son's iPad has crashed and says "Data recovery cannot be completed. Please restore your iPad from backup."

There is no backup. He was backing up everything to the iCloud and apparently that doesn't work. How can I restore his iPad to factory settings to get around this? I've tried everything I can think of and I'm just stuck at this screen.

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 4:44 PM

Maryland Bill C. wrote:

My son's iPad has crashed and says "Data recovery cannot be completed. Please restore your iPad from backup."

There is no backup. He was backing up everything to the iCloud and apparently that doesn't work. How can I restore his iPad to factory settings to get around this? I've tried everything I can think of and I'm just stuck at this screen.

Recovery mode click here If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 4:44 PM in response to Maryland Bill C.

Maryland Bill C. wrote:

Recovery mode click here If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 11, 2021 1:01 PM in response to Maryland Bill C.

Maryland Bill C. wrote:

The recovery mode didn’t ultimately work. It went through the restore process and I watched my Mac download and install a new iOS on the iPad but when it was done, we ended back at the same problem. We just went in an hour-long circle.

IF you put the device in recovery mode, there is no updating the ios in the process as it should only wipe the device.

Aug 11, 2021 1:13 PM in response to Maryland Bill C.

Maryland Bill C. wrote:

That’s what I’m telling you. When I hooked up the iPad to the Mac, I got the notice the iPad would be restored to factory default and all data would be lost. I initiated that procedure and when it was done, we were right back at the same screen.

Then the next step it to take the device into the Apple store and have them take a look at it.

Hopefully didn't jailbreak the device.

iPad - Data recovery cannot be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.