📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what are "local" contacts on iphone

what are "local" contacts on iphone syncing to Outlook, that I don't have permission to delete in Outlook

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 3:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:00 AM

Hey Mthor40,

Thanks for posting your question in Apple Support Communities.

The article you have read provides great information on how to manage your contacts.

Local contacts are contacts that are stored physically on your iPhone. Most contacts are synced through account servers and therefore not stored on your device.

You can find more information about syncing contacts in this article: Set up and use iCloud Contacts.

Best Wishes.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 10:00 AM in response to mthor40

Hey Mthor40,

Thanks for posting your question in Apple Support Communities.

The article you have read provides great information on how to manage your contacts.

Local contacts are contacts that are stored physically on your iPhone. Most contacts are synced through account servers and therefore not stored on your device.

You can find more information about syncing contacts in this article: Set up and use iCloud Contacts.

Best Wishes.

Aug 11, 2021 10:09 AM in response to jdo_apple

Thanks, JDO... is there any way to tell which contacts on your iPhone are "local"? I have about 4,000 contacts, but only about 10 are "local" in my Outlook account and they are all duplicated multiple times on my phone. And do you know how they became "local" contacts on the phone? I don't recall ever hitting some button or switch saying "make this a local contact" and I don't see anyway to figure out which ones are local, why they're local, etc. It's not a critical thing, but it is annoying.

Best,

Mike

Aug 11, 2021 10:55 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Thanks, Nicholas, I thought that would be the answer, too, and when I checked my groups, I don't have a "Local" path. So they aren't on my phone anymore (maybe?) but they still reside in my Outlook on my PC and I can't get rid of those. Not critical to anything, just super annoying since Outlook says I don't have permission to delete them. Grrr...

what are "local" contacts on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.