Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.4 Big Sur - Music - some tracks in my albums are missing artwork

I don't get this?

I migrated from iTunes to Music, and consolidated my library around a year ago. Since then I have spent many unhappy hours repairing the library index. The app scrambled a lot of my music library data - Duplicating artists and Album Artists etc (the one where the only fix is to rename to ArtistNameX and then deleting the X)

Now i find around 5% of my library is missing the artwork. Not for whole albums, that would be too easy. I have albums where the artwork has vanished from just one or two tracks.

I've hunted these down with one of Doug's scripts I know which tracks have missing artwork. Even though the other tracks in that album have embedded artwork, I can't re-embed the artwork with a script. I have to do each one manually.

Any ideas please?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 4:43 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 12, 2021 7:03 AM in response to myhairybum

Hi there,

From what we can tell, some of the albums in your music library are missing the album cover artwork since moving from iTunes to Apple Music on your MacBook Pro. We're glad you're here, and we can provide some guidance.

"To retrieve album artwork from the iTunes Store for your entire library, choose File > Library > Get Album Artwork." Learn more here:

Add artwork to content in Music on Mac

If that doesn't seem to help, we'd like to learn more to get this sorted out. Are you an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscriber? If not, what is the origin of the songs in your library? For example, were they purchased from the iTunes Store, imported from a CD, or another source?

We hope this information is helpful. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

Aug 12, 2021 11:34 PM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately that script didn't work for me.

This is the weird bit. I've just run "Tracks without embedded artwork" on an album. The output playlist shows 2 tracks with blank artwork previews, but the playlist title itself shows the correct artwork. (Does that make sense?)

Neither "Apply Embedded Artwork" nor "Re-Embed Artwork" fix the issue

Aug 13, 2021 3:07 AM in response to myhairybum

You would probably need to run the first script on all the music at once so that artwork is generated for each album from the tracks that have art. The second script could then be run on a list of all tracks without embedded artwork. I will admit I haven't actually used these scripts as I have my own tools for the same thing in Windows where I do the bulk of my editing.

tt2

11.4 Big Sur - Music - some tracks in my albums are missing artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.