Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring an iPhone 11 to a new iCloud account

If I purchase a new iPad and set it up on a new iCloud account, can I then transfer an existing iPhone 11 from an existing iCloud account to the new iCloud account

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:02 AM

53desertrat wrote:

Thanks for your response. You did hit on the real reason that we want to set up a new account however. My wife’s iPhone and my iPhone together on the same iCloud account and it’s creating messaging problems between the phones etc. I think it’s probably just a good idea to get them each set on their own separate account with the hopes of illuminating the cross trafficking.

Correct. If sharing an account, you should stop doing so, and get an independent account for you to use.

Best thing to do, is to create one now, and get everything you need from your wife's account manually moved over. Then once you get the iPad everything will already be set and ready to go.

For Apps and media purchases, you can set up Family Sharing if you want to continue to have access to all the purchases you've made on your wife's account.

Link-> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Once created, you can go to Settings->Account->Sign Out, then sign in with the new one.

Settings->Account->Media & Purchases->Sign Out and sing in with the new one.

Settings->Messages->Send & Receive->Apple ID->sign out, and sing in with the new one,

Settings->Facetime->Apple ID->Sign Out, and Sign in with the new one.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 10:02 AM in response to 53desertrat

53desertrat wrote:

Thanks for your response. You did hit on the real reason that we want to set up a new account however. My wife’s iPhone and my iPhone together on the same iCloud account and it’s creating messaging problems between the phones etc. I think it’s probably just a good idea to get them each set on their own separate account with the hopes of illuminating the cross trafficking.

Correct. If sharing an account, you should stop doing so, and get an independent account for you to use.

Best thing to do, is to create one now, and get everything you need from your wife's account manually moved over. Then once you get the iPad everything will already be set and ready to go.

For Apps and media purchases, you can set up Family Sharing if you want to continue to have access to all the purchases you've made on your wife's account.

Link-> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Once created, you can go to Settings->Account->Sign Out, then sign in with the new one.

Settings->Account->Media & Purchases->Sign Out and sing in with the new one.

Settings->Messages->Send & Receive->Apple ID->sign out, and sing in with the new one,

Settings->Facetime->Apple ID->Sign Out, and Sign in with the new one.

Aug 11, 2021 9:23 AM in response to 53desertrat

Yes. You can log in to another iCloud account on the iPhone at any time. Settings->Account (top of Settings)->Scroll down to Sign Out, then sign in.

Do note, that all purchases and downloaded content tied to one account cannot be merged or transferred to the other.

iCloud content like files in iCloud drive, Photos in iCloud Photos, Contacts, Notes etc... can be retained on the device and then synced with the new iCloud Account.

Apps will be tied to the account that bought or downloaded them, and will always require it to update. You would need to re-buy and re-download them in the new account.

With that said however any reason you don't just keep your current account for the iPad? Instead of creating a new one? What are trying to accomplish by creating an entirely new account and then moving the iPhone to it?

Unless you were sharing the old account with someone, which should definitely not be done, you should always strive to keep the same account updated and accessible.

Aug 11, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Phil0124

Transferring an iPhone 11 to a new iCloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.