Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Slow on Macbook Pro mid 2012

Hey guys, so I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro that had Catalina installed in it, there was a little lag so I tried to fixed it by using disk utility and other stuff but I made it worse, I tried to install Mojave with a bootable drive that I have and it's super slow now. There's no reason for it to be this slow because I have a 16 GB of memory and a 1TR SSD. Please help.

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 11:13 AM

9 replies

Aug 11, 2021 7:25 PM in response to Skinny1218

Skinny1218 Said:

"Mac OS Slow on Macbook Pro mid 2012: Hey guys, so I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro that had Catalina installed in it, there was a little lag so I tried to fixed it by using disk utility and other stuff but I made it worse, I tried to install Mojave with a bootable drive that I have and it's super slow now. There's no reason for it to be this slow because I have a 16 GB of memory and a 1TR SSD. Please help."

-------

Troubleshooting a Slow Mac:

Too much is likely running in the background. System resources are probably being eaten up quite a bit. So, here is what to try....

Boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot] and then perform the following:

A. Remove: Login Items:

See if Safari and/or Chrome are Login Items. If so, remove them as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if it/they no longer load(s) at login.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac - Apple Support.

B. Uninstall: Security Software:

Any Security Software installed on your computer? If so, uninstall it. Use the Uninstaller for to do so, getting the Uninstaller directly from my Developer’s site, as getting it else where may result in Malware or Spyware being installed. If you are uncertain which to download, then as the Developer. What is it doing is running you through VPN (Virtual Private Network), and your location is seen elsewhere — perhaps a location that this site is inaccessible to.

C. Scan: your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Clean: Space:

Delete: Unneeded, Large Files:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.  Virtual Machines can be in the double and triple digits of GBs of data.

E. Clear: Temporary Internet Files:

• Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data.
  • Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.

Go Here: Clear the History and Cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch - Apple Support

Aug 11, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Skinny1218

Skinny1218 wrote:

Hey guys, so I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro that had Catalina installed in it, there was a little lag so I tried to fixed it by using disk utility and other stuff but I made it worse, I tried to install Mojave with a bootable drive that I have and it's super slow now. There's no reason for it to be this slow because I have a 16 GB of memory and a 1TR SSD. Please help.

There should be no issue with Catalina on a mid-2012

1TB internal SSD...(?)

The SATA cable is a known weak link—did you change the SATA cable as recommended when you installed the 1 TB SSD?

If you say what size MBP I can supply the correct link if needed...

Mac OS Slow on Macbook Pro mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.