Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will apple fix the m1 MacBook Pro to run multiple monitors?

Dear Apple,

I understand people can now use DisplayLink to add multiple external monitors on M1 pro. However apple was clear that an m1 mac cannot run multiple external displays.

Macworld said apple will fix the m1 multiple external monitor issue in big sur. Can I have the exact press release related to this?

And can I have the date when Apple will software fix the m1 pro to run multiple monitors?

Thank you apple in advance.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 2:49 PM

The M1 specs clearly state that the M1 MacBook (air/pro) can only have 1 external display., MacBook Pro 13-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple This will not change.

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 2:49 PM in response to allcry

The M1 specs clearly state that the M1 MacBook (air/pro) can only have 1 external display., MacBook Pro 13-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple This will not change.

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz"

Aug 11, 2021 3:09 PM in response to allcry

You're not talking to Apple here. This forum is for users speaking with other users. Apple did not promise to add additional monitor support in Big Sur. MacWorld is not an Apple publication and the article you link to makes no mention of an Apple press release. There is no date that anyone outside of Apple knows of for the addition of extra monitor support.

Aug 11, 2021 4:41 PM in response to allcry

allcry wrote:

Dear Apple,

I understand people can now use DisplayLink to add multiple external monitors on M1 pro. However apple was clear that an m1 mac cannot run multiple external displays.

Macworld said apple will fix the m1 multiple external monitor issue in big sur. Can I have the exact press release related to this?

And can I have the date when Apple will software fix the m1 pro to run multiple monitors?

The M1 SoC is the introductory processor running on the ARM Mac. I would not expect M1 to change.

The next release cycle coming Oct-Nov-Dec as the roll out continues—including the new MBP with the M1x or M2 SoC— I would wait and see what the improved specs are here.

When will apple fix the m1 MacBook Pro to run multiple monitors?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.