Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leaving group text messaging you created.

Can I remove myself from a group text that I started?

I understand how to leave a group message when I’m not the one who made it (by Leaving Conversation) but this isn’t an option for group messages I started. Is there no way to get out of messages once you start?

iPhone 6, iOS 10

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 7:42 AM

Then you cannot leave or add anything to that message. The ability to add or leave a group message is only for group iMessages. Since a group with non-iOS users in it is an MMS, that is controlled by the carrier and you cannot modify that group in any way. From this support document, Add and remove people in group text messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can’t add or remove people in group SMS/MMS messages and you can't add or remove someone if they're using a non-Apple device. 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Martin.Mattia

Then you cannot leave or add anything to that message. The ability to add or leave a group message is only for group iMessages. Since a group with non-iOS users in it is an MMS, that is controlled by the carrier and you cannot modify that group in any way. From this support document, Add and remove people in group text messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can’t add or remove people in group SMS/MMS messages and you can't add or remove someone if they're using a non-Apple device. 

Leaving group text messaging you created.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.