Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The red dot and text on my Apple Watch is not working

How do I reset in my iPhone to make red dot and text appear on Apple Watch? The feature suddenly disappeared. I want watch to buzz when I get text and to be able to read text on Apple Watch when it is sent immediately

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 4:21 PM

Initial text messages work like notifications Notifications go to either your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both.  If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode. For more info, see:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This should result in no loss of data. It deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 4:21 PM in response to Honolulu12

Initial text messages work like notifications Notifications go to either your Apple Watch or iPhone, but not both.  If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode. For more info, see:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This should result in no loss of data. It deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

The red dot and text on my Apple Watch is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.