Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am making a movie with the IMovie App and cant work out how to reduce the time that a still photo remains on the screen. The standard time is 4 seconds and I would like to reduce it to about 2-3seconds. And I need to apply it to all the photos and

I am making a movie with the IMovie App and cant work out how to reduce the time that a still photo remains on the screen. The standard time is 4 seconds and I would like to reduce it to about 2-3seconds. And I need to apply it to all the photos and not amend each one individually so would need an "apply to all" option.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 9:14 PM

12 replies

Aug 13, 2021 6:26 AM in response to IMoviequery

Simply hover your cursor over the right hand edge of the clip in the timeline and 2 arrows pointing left and right will appear.

Drag the edge of the clip to make it longer or shorter.

Alternatively select iMovie in the menu bar and click on the Preferences.

Change the "Photo Duration" to your desired time. This will only affect new photos added to the timeline, existing pictures in the timeline will remain at 4 seconds.

Aug 13, 2021 8:04 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Adding to what Ian said: For photos of undesired duration already in the timeline, you can select them as a range (as long as they are contiguous) and then click on the "i" button in the tool bar at the upper right of your screen. You can then enter a duration in the duration box that appears below and to the right of the "i" button. Then click on the Return button on your keyboard. That will set all the photos at the duration that you entered in the duration box.

EDIT: You can use the same procedure above to set the duration of each photo individually.

-- Rich

Aug 13, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Rich839

Jeez Guys, Thanks so much. I spent hours trying to work this out.

My next challenge is to try add music to the movie. When I click on Audio it is only offering me some inappropriate crappy ITunes music that i purchased on ITunes years ago.

Do I have to try and sync my Apple Music into my ITunes library. Or is there other free music that I can somehow access and link to the IMovie App.

So appreciate your help so far. I am finding this App really challenging. Before I became an MacBook person I made movies so quickly on my old HP Laptops.

Aug 13, 2021 3:48 PM in response to IMoviequery

Apple Music cannot be used in iMovie because it is DRM protected. Syncing it or downloading Apple Music to iTunes will not remove the DRM protection.

In the Sound Effects item in the iMovie sidebar there are jingles available that you can use in your projects. However, you might consider purchasing new iTunes for use in your project. They only cost 99 cents.

— Rich

I am making a movie with the IMovie App and cant work out how to reduce the time that a still photo remains on the screen. The standard time is 4 seconds and I would like to reduce it to about 2-3seconds. And I need to apply it to all the photos and

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.