Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos

So when I try to delete photos and I right click it will not let me nothing shows up or anything. Any help?

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 9:23 AM

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Recents, Imports, albums or smart albums, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.    Without the Command key held down you'll be presented with a confirmation Yes/No window regarding the deletion. 

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File  Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 9:23 AM in response to GavinNix

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Recents, Imports, albums or smart albums, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.    Without the Command key held down you'll be presented with a confirmation Yes/No window regarding the deletion. 

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File  Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

Aug 14, 2021 12:38 AM in response to GavinNix

Hi

Are you trying in the photos app? Or Finder? or somewhere else.

When you say nothing shows up - do you mean there is no pop up menu of any sort, or that there is no delete option on the menu? If there is a menu but no delete option, please list what you do have (or post a screenshot if easier)

If there is no menu at all, try the other app. If you get no right click menus anywhere, I'd suggest trying another mouse.

Deleting photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.