Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access Apple ID Media and Purchases. Grayed Out!

Hello! I am unable to sign into the App Store, or Apple TV using my Apple ID on my original Mac user account, to access my purchases, make new purchases, or update my apps. I discovered this issue after updating my Apple ID email address.

I can access everything normally on my iPhone, iPad, and a second Mac user account, but not the user account I use everyday. Attempting to sign into the App Store or Apple TV on my user account prompts a sign in loop where nothing happens, and no error is shown, except for it not signing in. Media and Purchases in settings is also greyed out (see image).

I have attempted to fix the issue in the following ways, with no luck:

• Shut down/restarted mac
  • Safeboot
  • Signing in and out of Apple ID everywhere (iPhone, iPad, all Mac user accounts, Apple ID website)
  • Attempting to sign in by adding the verification code to the end of the password
  • Turned off Screen Time and Family Sharing
  • Checking for Malware using Malwarebytes
  • Permissions reset via terminal
  • Attempting to download an app on the App Store directly
  • Clean OS reinstall
  • Wiped hard drive and backed up from time machine external hard drive

I had a 2 hour call with Apple Support, Ryan was very nice and tried to help me get to the bottom of this, but it's not something anyone had seen before... and we weren't able to solve the issue. Has anyone here experienced anything similar, and could help me?

Thank you!

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 6:45 AM

to someone who is reading this and is having a hard time . if you're a new MAC user . just go to MUSIC, then click ITUNES STORE, then look on the right middle part of the screen the word ACCOUNT, click that. then enter your details.. then fill in the Complete PAYMENT details. then TADAAAA ALL SET. :)

57 replies

Oct 26, 2021 5:09 PM in response to grace998

I had this issue today as well.

Open Apple TV. You'll get the same prompts to enter credentials and then to "Review" your AppleID, but this was the only app I found on the MacBook Pro that actually redirected me to the Terms and Conditions checkbox. It'll also confirm your billing information. Complete the steps and your "Media abd Purchases" tab in System Preferences should a activate and no longer be grayed out/disabled.

Music, AppStore and Books all seem to have the same issue where they won't redirect you properly, but Apple TV seems to work.

Good luck! Let me know if this resolves it for you as well.

Dec 9, 2021 9:20 AM in response to grace998

I had the same issue when tried to sign into the App Store. Also, in the System preferences >> Apple ID >> Media & Purchases was greyed out. Clearly the answer to this is to trigger the "Accept Terms & Conditions..." when you add billing address to your Apple ID. This is what helped me:

• Open the Apple Music App
  • After few second a banner will pop up "Try It For Free" (its a red/pink banner)
  • Click on the banner to sign up for 3 free months (don't worry you will not sign in the other steps if you don't want)
  • This will open up a window asking you to sign in with your Apple ID
  • Make sure that the option "Accept Terms & conditions" is checked. Click sign in.
  • Wait for a few seconds and the try to open your Apple App Stope app. You will be signed in automatically.
  • Check in your profile under System Preferences. The Media and Purchases is no longer grayed out.

Hope this helps you. (brand new iMac 27 bought today 09th December 2021)

Dec 14, 2021 10:31 PM in response to grace998

My device is M1 MacBook Pro 16inch and I solved the problem by logging in to the Music app. It was my first time logging in the apple account, and a pop-up requested me to review my account. By clicking the Review button, as Detente mentioned, I was redirected to a review page, including "Terms and Condition" checkbox. After registering payment method, I found I could access the "media & purchases" tab.

Aug 14, 2021 6:34 AM in response to grace998

Probably a long shot, but something you can try. I am not using the newest OS version, so it is possible the .plist has been moved.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Nov 2, 2021 8:06 AM in response to srihari88

You have open Apple TV and get the login prompt. They say "oh open iTunes'' but now iTunes is 3 apps.....TV, Music and Podcasts. Nothing any user wanted but is now being forced upon us. Classic wall garden brute forcing us into new apps to drive user adoption and hopefully new revenue creation. I remember the days when buying a laptop was enough, but alas, they want your money at time and purchase and monthly until you die.

Nov 4, 2021 9:47 AM in response to AnnoyedAppleUser9

I had the greyed out problem for Media & Purchases in the Apple ID window on MacBookPro. I discovered that this was because I wasn't signed in to the App Store. As soon as I signed in the problem was solved and the info appeared.

PS Hi Lucesita, Try to look for the icon "Screen Time" under "system preferences", open the window and switch the functionality off. Restart the computer .... is a red herring, I think, as it didn't work for me.

Jan 14, 2022 6:15 AM in response to Detente

Same issue, I just purchased a MacBook Air and didn't have an AppleID until now. I was never directed to agree to the terms and conditions. I talked to support and they had no idea how to help me or to get it to prompt the T&C. I did this trick of going into Apple TV and signed up for the free trial and it finally prompted it! Thank you so much for the tip! It worked like a charm and in less than 5 mins the issue was fixed with your advice compared to the hour I spent on the phone with support and still didn't get it fixed. :)

Jul 29, 2022 2:19 AM in response to grace998

Solution:

I faced this issue on my Office macbook.

It is due the non-acceptance of terms and conditions.

I resolved this by logging in with problematic appleid on my personal ipad (could be any apple device).

add address, payment details.

And made sure media & purchase is active there.

After this I logged into macbook and logged into appstore of macbook.

and Issue resolved.

Unable to access Apple ID Media and Purchases. Grayed Out!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.