Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad OS 14.7

Before I installed 14.7, I had 25 GB of storage on my iPad Air 2. This morning I had the warning window pop up and tell me my iPad storage was full. I checked and sure enough, it was up to 30gb…. I have a 32gb iPad. What bugs me the most is, a majority of what is eating up my storage is “Other” and that drives me crazy as there’s virtually nothing you can do about that. I’ve done tons of research and it seems like it’s one of Apple’s big secrets for some odd reason. I remember that was a huge problem around OS 14.4 or something like that and when I updated to 14.5, the problem was solved. What’s the deal because this is just plain annoying.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:02 AM

Hello,

Not to worry I will try my best to help you. Congrats on keeping your iPad Air 2 going for so long! It’ll be getting iPad OS 15 too *YAY!*

Ok, so the “other” section is usually cache and other files that are saved from safari, mail and other system files like logs.

Here’s a few things to try:

• Try the good old method of restarting. Press and hold the power button and slide to power off. Wait for a minute and press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
  • You can also try a force restart by pressing and holding both the home button and power button until you see the Apple logo.

• Go to settings > safari > “Clear history and website data” (Keep in mind this will delete all the tabs you have open and will sign you out of websites. Your bookmarks and favourites will however stay intact.)

• If you have a Mac or a Windows PC (with iTunes installed) you can plug it in and leave it connected for a few minutes. See if that helps if not, backup your iPad, this will clear the logs and some of the “other files”. If that does not work you can restore the iPad. (Restoring will delete everything on the iPad and reinstall iPad OS.)

• Don’t have access to a computer? Thats ok! You can reset all settings or erase everything from the iPad (similar to restore but only deletes user data, it does not reinstall iPad OS.) (you will likely have more luck with erasing rather than resetting settings.
  • To reset all settings only: go to settings > reset > tap “reset all settings”
  • To erase the iPad: go to settings > reset > tap “erase all content and settings”

• Before erasing or restoring the iPad, make sure to sign out of your Apple Id and turn off “Find My” (Settings > tap your name).
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 8:02 AM in response to Mjd13076

Hello,

Not to worry I will try my best to help you. Congrats on keeping your iPad Air 2 going for so long! It’ll be getting iPad OS 15 too *YAY!*

Ok, so the “other” section is usually cache and other files that are saved from safari, mail and other system files like logs.

Here’s a few things to try:

• Try the good old method of restarting. Press and hold the power button and slide to power off. Wait for a minute and press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
  • You can also try a force restart by pressing and holding both the home button and power button until you see the Apple logo.

• Go to settings > safari > “Clear history and website data” (Keep in mind this will delete all the tabs you have open and will sign you out of websites. Your bookmarks and favourites will however stay intact.)

• If you have a Mac or a Windows PC (with iTunes installed) you can plug it in and leave it connected for a few minutes. See if that helps if not, backup your iPad, this will clear the logs and some of the “other files”. If that does not work you can restore the iPad. (Restoring will delete everything on the iPad and reinstall iPad OS.)

• Don’t have access to a computer? Thats ok! You can reset all settings or erase everything from the iPad (similar to restore but only deletes user data, it does not reinstall iPad OS.) (you will likely have more luck with erasing rather than resetting settings.
  • To reset all settings only: go to settings > reset > tap “reset all settings”
  • To erase the iPad: go to settings > reset > tap “erase all content and settings”

• Before erasing or restoring the iPad, make sure to sign out of your Apple Id and turn off “Find My” (Settings > tap your name).

iPad OS 14.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.