Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 2012 iMac as a second monitor with MacBook pro

Hi

I currently have a 2020 model MacBook Pro and wanted to use my late 2012 27” iMac as a second monitor. Firstly trying to find out if it’s possible, whether they’re compatible and secondly where I source an adapter since I only have USB ports on the back of the iMac (which doesn’t help me much). Can anyone help?

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 9:10 AM

In theory, it will not be possible to use Target Display Mode with this iMac or your MacBook Pro

Late 2014 & later iMac models do NOT support Target Display Mode. The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

Ref:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 9:10 AM in response to JaniceS10

In theory, it will not be possible to use Target Display Mode with this iMac or your MacBook Pro

Late 2014 & later iMac models do NOT support Target Display Mode. The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

Ref:

Using 2012 iMac as a second monitor with MacBook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.