Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't join WIFI network G4 TiBook

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 8:50 PM

realbiz Said:

"Can't join WIFI network G4 TiBook"

-------

Try the Following:

A. Clear the history, but this time in Safe Mode:

Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

1. Booting into Safe Mode: [hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode
  2. Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari: Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

B. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

C. Reconnect to your Network:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Wi-Fi
  3. Disable: Wi-Fi
  4. Wait: 30 seconds
  5. Enable: Wi-Fi

D. Add Back the Network:

3. Remove: the network
  5. Add: the network back
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 8:50 PM in response to realbiz

realbiz Said:

"Can't join WIFI network G4 TiBook"

-------

Try the Following:

A. Clear the history, but this time in Safe Mode:

Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

1. Booting into Safe Mode: [hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode
  2. Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari: Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

B. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

C. Reconnect to your Network:

3. Disable: Wi-Fi
  5. Enable: Wi-Fi

D. Add Back the Network:

3. Remove: the network
  5. Add: the network back

Aug 16, 2021 6:47 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for all the suggestions. Performed each and still not connecting. Network sees my wifi however states it cannot connect to the internet. Connection Failed.

All my other machines work fine with my wifi. I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8 on my 800MHz G4 TiBook with a 120 gig mSATA SSD.

Ethernet connection is fine. Airport card shows up system profiler with firmware version 9.52 and BSD Device Name, en1.

Aug 17, 2021 3:57 PM in response to realbiz

Hi,

Could also be a Wi-Fi security protocol problem. The easiest way may be an appropriate Wi-Fi range extender (with an Ethernet port) with wireless Ethernet bridge capabilities, connected to the Ethernet port of the PowerBook. Edimax EW-7438RPn Mini and TP-Link RE200 are just two examples. That would allow you to use modern protocols. Special software should not be required in most cases.

If absolutely necessary, a USB Wi-Fi adapter could be used, but that would mean a problem with USB drivers, as well as speed limitations because of a USB 1.1 port. Not many adapters have drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.

Aug 17, 2021 5:25 PM in response to Lyssa

I checked with my internet provider today. They said they provide AC service to my location. That AC is backward compatible to 802.11 a, b, g, n, and of course ac. The TiBook has a Single PC Card Expansion Slot supporting a Type I/II PC Card on the side. Found another site where someone purchased a Card for that slot and can receive higher band 802.11 now. His video was made back in 2007 though. Now I need to find a compatible Type I or Type II PC Card for the TiBook.

My ethernet works fine on the TiBook. I have a google nest system with 4 hubs here at the house. So coverage is great here. My other 4 Mac's are all able to log onto my wifi without a hitch. However I want to be able to use this TiBook in other locations.

This has been a great experience with all of you Mac Addicts assisting me! Any suggestions on where to get a compatible PC Card would be appreciated.

Aug 17, 2021 6:46 PM in response to realbiz

It is not going to be easy to find a PC Card (CardBus) with WPA2 security and drivers compatible with Mac OS X 10.5. Someone else may have an idea where to look, if at all available.

Using one of the aforementioned Wi-Fi range extenders as a wireless Ethernet bridge (client or media adapter mode) should work, but would require an AC outlet/socket nearby. No drivers needed. WPA2 security. Wireless speeds up to ac, depending on model.

A travel router (such as TP-Link TL-WR902AC or TL-WR802N) in client mode could perhaps be another possibility.

One of few suitable USB Wi-Fi adapters is the original version of Edimax EW-7811Un. The download site has drivers for as low as Mac OS X 10.4. Wireless speed theoretically n (but limited by the USB 1.1 port). WPA2 security.

Aug 27, 2021 7:44 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan the EW-7811Un USB Wi-Fi adapter arrived today. I tried installing the driver for this adapter. No luck. Seems this adapter only provides drivers for OSX 10.7 and higher. I checked on the Edimax site and was not able to locate drivers for OS X 10.4 thru 10.6. I am running 10.5.8. Sent a request to Edimax for some assistance this evening. Will update when they get back to me.

Aug 28, 2021 3:25 AM in response to realbiz

Hello again,

First of all, make sure that you have the original EW-7811Un (not version 2). Next, try this:

Go to https://www.edimax.com/edimax/download/download/data/edimax/global/download/ .

Select (1) Home -> (2) Legacy Products -> (3) EW-7811Un -> (4) Driver .

Look for Support OS:MAC 10.4/10.5/10.6 .

Alternatively: https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/home_legacy_wireless_adapters/ew-7811un -> Download .

It should be added that I have not tested this adapter with Mac OS X 10.5.

Good luck!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.