Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID recovery for a minor - dangerous and stuck - help?

Hi,

My 13 year old's iPhone 11 was glitching. We reached out to online support, explained the issue and were told to reset the phone to factory settings.

We did. When logging in we realized that my daughter had changed contracts and phone numbers and hadn't updated her Apple ID with her new number. So when apple verified her with an old number - she had no access and was locked out of her account.

We tried account recovery. Waited 24 hours only to find out the recovery was not in process. We spoke to online support again and were guided at another attempt for iPhone recovery. Which would take 24 hours we were advised.

After 24 hours, nothing.

Checked and got the information that this would take an additional 6 days.

I now have a kid freaking out because without her phone, her freedom goes. I am a working mother and she's allowed to take Uber's etc to her skating lessons and sometimes to see friends. but if I can't track or call her (and shell be locked out for at least 6 days) this is dangerous.

My daughter is part of a family cloud, so she could easily be verified but I got no help from customer 'care'. Computer says no type of situation.

I then asked if I would set her up with a temporary new ID, would that be ok and then once she's back into her old ID / Cloud which holds all her contacts and calendars and apps etc we could go back to the old ID. I was advised that yes, that's an option.

At no point did I get any help. Just no. I had to know what to ask....

So - Set the kid up with a new ID only to find that the original issue of the glitching phone is STILL an issue.

So the HARDWARE issue that we started with has started this whole big mess and I am getting no help whatsoever.... Genius Bar has room to see us in 4 days.

I am genuinely so frustrated with the lack of help. Its not what I am used to with Apple and I genuinely do not know where to turn. Locking someone out like that is dangerous....

I appreciate its a security thing and 24 even 72 hours seems acceptable - but 6 days is simply not good enough.

Not just a rant.

Can anyone advise what I can do to salvage this?

Is there someone anywhere who's had access to a solution for such a bizarre issue?

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:06 AM

For information about 'How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password', click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT204921

Check the status of your request

At any time, you can see how long it will be until your account is ready for recovery, or when more information will be available. Just go to https://iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID.

"In some cases, you might be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address. You might also be able to shorten the wait time by providing credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given this option, an authorization request goes to the card issuer.*"

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 6:06 AM in response to loisstella22

For information about 'How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password', click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT204921

Check the status of your request

At any time, you can see how long it will be until your account is ready for recovery, or when more information will be available. Just go to https://iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID.

"In some cases, you might be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address. You might also be able to shorten the wait time by providing credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given this option, an authorization request goes to the card issuer.*"

Aug 15, 2021 6:11 AM in response to loisstella22

I know you find this stressful but I am always slightly amused by parents these days needing to know the exact locations of their kids 24/7. I remember when I was growing up if my mother wanted to contact us she would go out into the back yard with a whistle. Or we would have to make sure we asked a friend if we could borrow their parent's rotary phone and call home every few hours. I guess you could buy your daughter a "burner" phone in the interim.

Apple ID recovery for a minor - dangerous and stuck - help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.