Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad charging port

I have an older ipad that has what doesn't use lightning cable. Has what looks like a usb-c port but my Android usb-c cable does not fit. Is there another type of charging cable for this? How many different types of ports did Apple use on these? I lost the original charger and the device is completely discharged so I can't even get in to see the model number. Please help!

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 9:30 AM

Unless it is an iPad 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation (which used the "dock" charging port), the only two types used on iPads are "lightning" or "USB-C".

Even if you can't charge it, take a look on the back cover of your device and you'll find an "Axxxx" code (where xxxx are four numbers). That's the model and you can identify it among this list:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 9:30 AM in response to Ipadchargingissue

Unless it is an iPad 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation (which used the "dock" charging port), the only two types used on iPads are "lightning" or "USB-C".

Even if you can't charge it, take a look on the back cover of your device and you'll find an "Axxxx" code (where xxxx are four numbers). That's the model and you can identify it among this list:

Aug 15, 2021 11:01 AM in response to Ipadchargingissue

Thanks! I did find that it is a 4th generation. Model # A1458. I was told that that model has a lightning port, but I am certain that the cable my wife was using (it's her device) wasn't a lightning cable but it was working. I have a lightning cable with a 20w charge head attached for the last 2 hours and it doesn't seem to be charging.

Ipad charging port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.