Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help required after upgrade to Big Sur

I upgraded from Mojave > Big Sur (11.5.2) today, on a mid-2015 MBP, after reformatting the internal SSD drive from HFS+ > APFS.

Two things really concern me.

Although all appeared to go fine, and the new OS seems to be working OK:

1) i have just discovered that with Big Sur it is no longer possible to make a bootable backup (either with Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner).

2) i have an external SSD drive running 10.14.6. But when I boot from that one, I now get this warning dialogue:

in disk utility, the internal drive looks like this:

why is the external back drive now 'incompatible' - and how do i fix this?

I understand that Superduper is fully compatible with Catalina. I've always had bootable backup on external drives and want to return to that position.

How can I downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina, and return to life with that safety net?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 9:01 AM

Thanks for all the help + feedback

I've also now been in touch with Dave Nanian at Superduper, and have been testing the latest 3.5.3 beta version.

I've used it and it does make bootable backups of Big Sur set ups - a great discovery.

Many thanks also to Matti Haveri, who has been really helpful in addressing my other query about the 'incompatible disk' warning.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253053298?answerId=255728148022&cid=em-com-apple_watches_email_thread_owner-view_the_full_discussion-en-us-11192020#255728148022

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 9:01 AM in response to citroenDS

Thanks for all the help + feedback

I've also now been in touch with Dave Nanian at Superduper, and have been testing the latest 3.5.3 beta version.

I've used it and it does make bootable backups of Big Sur set ups - a great discovery.

Many thanks also to Matti Haveri, who has been really helpful in addressing my other query about the 'incompatible disk' warning.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253053298?answerId=255728148022&cid=em-com-apple_watches_email_thread_owner-view_the_full_discussion-en-us-11192020#255728148022

Aug 15, 2021 1:26 PM in response to citroenDS

Disclaimer: Big Sur will be replaced by Monterey this fall and that will make Catalina N-2 (current minus two) which means in about a year it isn't going to be supported and will stop receiving Apple security updates. Developers will stop targeting Catalina as they update their Apps.

Alternative: This model MacBook Pro Mid-2015 (MacBookPro11,4) has an upgradable SSD. You could upgrade to a larger internal SSD and then you can dual boot Catalina and Big Sur. Just create a new macOS APFS Volume and install Big Sur into one volume and Catalina into the other volume. You'll need to weight the costs as Monterey will support this model but what comes after Monterey may not. But by then much of the Mac product line should be completely switched from Intel to Apple Silicon. However, Intel systems will be supported for approximately 7 years from their release date (rough value that is not always true but true most of the time).

However, you can still downgrade to Catalina. In order to downgrade you need to wipe out the Big Sur installation from scratch and re-install Catalina then restore your data from backup. Verify you have a good backup of Catalina.

On Big Sur you can download the Catalina installer and create a Catalina bootable 16GB+ flash drive. Then boot from the flash drive, wipe the internal drive and re-install Catalina. Then restore your backup data via Time Machine or the Migration Assistant, etc.

Download Catalina while running Big Sur:

• Open Terminal and enter the following command
sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.7
  • Format a 16GB+ Flash drive and name it MyVolume
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
  • Shutdown completely and hold Option while powering on
  • Select the USB Flash drive to boot
  • Erase the internal Apple SSD with Disk Utility
  • Re-install Catalina to the internal Apple SSD
  • Choose to restore data during installation by selecting the backup disk or use Migration Assistant after the installation

Aug 15, 2021 2:57 PM in response to citroenDS

#1 - That's false. I have cloned my internal Big Sur and Monterey SSDs to external SSDs multiple times.

The key is too erase the entire disk beforehand.

Note: if you starting with an external SSD that has a system on it Catalina or later you may have to delete the Macintosh HD, Macintosh HD -Data, Container and then the very top section. This will ensure that you get a Recovery volume on the drive.

You may have to first select "Untitled" and erase it. Then select Container Disc and erase it. Finally select the top section and erase it, making sure you have a GUID partition:

Next launch the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner and put your internal SSD or HD as the source disk and the external SSD as the destination disk. Control (right) - click on the destination disk and select

and select "Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant…" from the menu. Next

Select Allow CCC to erase "XX"…" and click on Close. Then click the Start button.

Remember the key is in the erasure of the drive.

Aug 15, 2021 3:08 PM in response to Old Toad

Carbon Copy Cloner blog regarding bootable clones:

https://bombich.com/blog/2021/05/19/beyond-bootable-backups-adapting-recovery-strategies-evolving-platform

There was a time when making a Big Sur bootable clone was a problem. Requiring re-installing Big Sur to the disk afterwards, etc. There are still some caveats to the process. It may be a problem in the future.

help required after upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.