Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting MacBook Pro to Epson EX5230 projector

I'm trying to get my Epson EX5230 projector to work with my new MacBook Pro. Can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone help with this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:01 PM

Hi, Tamalin_B, I'd be delighted to help you.... Yes, you have one of the newer M1 MacBook Pro's, so you have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C.... The Projector's user guide says it supports HDMI, USB and VGA... Epson says that a USB-A to USB-B cable will work, but to use USB on the project, you have to go into its Extended menu and set the USB type B setting to USB Display, plus turn on your Mac, and connect the cable to the projector's USB-B port * the squre looking one.... the other end can be plugged into any available USB port on your Mac. You also need to install Epson's USB Display software, which I'm guessing is Catalina compliant...you'd have to check with Epson on that... you'd also need a USB-A to USB-C adapter, but they're cheap..... or go for a USB-C to USB-B cable.... for HDMI, a USB-C to HDMI cable would work as well. the Projector also has a USB-A port, but it's for flash drives or memory card readers, the external kind... here is a link to the USB Display software which works up to Mac OS 10.13....here's a link to Epson's support page for this Projector:https://epson.ca/Support/Projectors/EX-Series/Epson-EX5230/s/SPT_V11H553020...and it looks like Epson does support Mac OS 10.14 and up....so I think you're good to go......unless you want to try to connect it up to the Projector's VGA port.....and when setting it up for HDMI, go to System Preferences, then Displays, then Detect Displays, in this case, the projector, and make sure Mirror Displays is turned on....I don't know how many Thunderbolt/USB-C ports you have, if it's two or four, but you might want to invest in a Thunderbolt-3/USB-C dock for more connection options and more ports that you might need.......

good luck, hope this helps you

john B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 5:01 PM in response to Tamalin_B

Hi, Tamalin_B, I'd be delighted to help you.... Yes, you have one of the newer M1 MacBook Pro's, so you have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C.... The Projector's user guide says it supports HDMI, USB and VGA... Epson says that a USB-A to USB-B cable will work, but to use USB on the project, you have to go into its Extended menu and set the USB type B setting to USB Display, plus turn on your Mac, and connect the cable to the projector's USB-B port * the squre looking one.... the other end can be plugged into any available USB port on your Mac. You also need to install Epson's USB Display software, which I'm guessing is Catalina compliant...you'd have to check with Epson on that... you'd also need a USB-A to USB-C adapter, but they're cheap..... or go for a USB-C to USB-B cable.... for HDMI, a USB-C to HDMI cable would work as well. the Projector also has a USB-A port, but it's for flash drives or memory card readers, the external kind... here is a link to the USB Display software which works up to Mac OS 10.13....here's a link to Epson's support page for this Projector:https://epson.ca/Support/Projectors/EX-Series/Epson-EX5230/s/SPT_V11H553020...and it looks like Epson does support Mac OS 10.14 and up....so I think you're good to go......unless you want to try to connect it up to the Projector's VGA port.....and when setting it up for HDMI, go to System Preferences, then Displays, then Detect Displays, in this case, the projector, and make sure Mirror Displays is turned on....I don't know how many Thunderbolt/USB-C ports you have, if it's two or four, but you might want to invest in a Thunderbolt-3/USB-C dock for more connection options and more ports that you might need.......

good luck, hope this helps you

john B

Connecting MacBook Pro to Epson EX5230 projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.