Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

korg nanokontrol 2 on big sur m1 recognized but not working properly

Hello,

As the topic says, nanokontrol 2 is recognized and name shown, however only the transport and marker functions work, the other lights are off and the controls don't do anything. I have the latest logic pro. Internet search found some people asking about this issue in various fora, but no answers. I'd be sad to get rid of it, such a useful and small thing, which does exactly what I need. I would appreciate any help,

Cheers,

m.

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:13 PM

3 replies

Aug 16, 2021 3:41 AM in response to mr_redpine

Hi

There have been lots of issues with legacy MIDI devices, drivers and interfaces with the move to Catalina ( 64bit ) and especially Big Sur.  Check with your Korg support and confirm support for Sig Sur for your device. Hopefully they will have a current driver or a statement to help you understand if your device will work. This is a critical first step since the onus is on the third party vendor to support Big Sur OSX and many are lagging. I have seen an uptick with Midi Issue with since Logic 10.5 ad here are my observations and tips:

1) Make sure ALL drivers are current and supported (Critical first step) 

2) No USB hubs in the data chain to MIDI devices when testing.

3) Always start from a cold boot, no wake from sleep.

4) No changing of accounts ( logout / login ) 

5) If using a combination of USB and a MIDI multi-port interface leave Port A open on the multi-port.

These steps solved about 99% of my (and fellow musicians ) MIDI issues.  

Hope this helps

( If this was helpful please mark as such or mark as solved if that is the case ) 

Aug 16, 2021 5:58 AM in response to Don Mactavish

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Korg site tells me to use native drivers. Also on my 10 year old mac with logic 9 I didn't have to install any third party drivers, it worked out of the box.

I think it may work with remapping the controls, only I have no idea how, tried it for an hour or two and I can't even make the arrow buttons switch fader banks. But I'm really inexperienced in mapping midi, and it's quite complex.

The device is recognized, transport and markers are working, I was hoping someone managed to remap the controls in a way that it works. What a shame, logic "knows" the device (shown as nanokontrol 2) but auto assignment fails.

Aug 16, 2021 10:30 AM in response to mr_redpine

Hi,

Mapping Midi is not too difficult. Check the Logic documentation for “Control Surfaces” and Learn mode. Sometimes you need to delete any old settings and start fresh. I have never been a fan of Auto-Mapping and usually just do it manually. You can use an app called MidiView (free) to monitor the device and see what Midi messages it sends when you move button or press a button. Lots of info on the Korg support site including a plug-in for Logic and documents on the Midi parameters. A search of the web is also a great source for setup guides just make sure it is as current as possible.

Hope this helps.

korg nanokontrol 2 on big sur m1 recognized but not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.