Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AA imac rechargeable mouse batteries

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. I purchase rechargeable batteris (AA) for this some years ago and they are dying so I need replacements. I have found that standard AA's won't work - they have to be Mac/Apple specific. These do not seem to be available at Apple anymore. Can anyone tell me which brand will work please. I know off the shelf rechargeable won't work.

Thankyou

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:20 PM

Hello, Shark Whisperer.

I believe you are mistaken. Apple's AA battery powered wireless keyboards and mice do not require anything but standard AA size batteries. There is no Mac/Apple specific requirement.

Any rechargeable AA battery will work - Duracell, Eveready, Energizer, even off-brand standard AA size batteries.

I don't understand why you believe the off the shelf batteries don't work. I have had several AA powered Apple keyboards and mice over the years and never used an Apple branded battery.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat. 😃

EDIT - I'd love to know the model number(s) of the devices you need these Apple specific batteries for.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2021 6:20 PM in response to Shark Whisperer

Hello, Shark Whisperer.

I believe you are mistaken. Apple's AA battery powered wireless keyboards and mice do not require anything but standard AA size batteries. There is no Mac/Apple specific requirement.

Any rechargeable AA battery will work - Duracell, Eveready, Energizer, even off-brand standard AA size batteries.

I don't understand why you believe the off the shelf batteries don't work. I have had several AA powered Apple keyboards and mice over the years and never used an Apple branded battery.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat. 😃

EDIT - I'd love to know the model number(s) of the devices you need these Apple specific batteries for.

Aug 15, 2021 6:38 PM in response to Shark Whisperer

I have an Apple rechargeable battery & charger set that I bought new in 2010. It all still works well, although battery recharge life is not (never has been) as long as the life of off the shelf, non-rechargeable AA alkaline batteries. Over the years I have seen talk here on this forum about some rechargeable battery brands not working well, or at all, with the Apple Magic mouse, apparently due to minor over-all length variations. You may want to consider this but I have never experienced these issues as I have only used the Apple set I referred to (or regular non-rechargeable AA batteries). For what it is worth, the rechargeable Apple brand batteries I have measure 1.980" to 1.983".

Aug 15, 2021 8:40 PM in response to Shark Whisperer

D.I.J, inspired by the offer of hat-eating, I have fired up my memory banks to narrow down the exact issue from 4 or 5 years ago. I recall now was related to the minute differences in battery length. I have now tried a few alternates out and have a new recharger, which is compatible. So It seems the problem has worked itself out with the passage of time, and I should have done a test before shouting for help.

Thank you, I wish you and your hat a long and safe life together.

AA imac rechargeable mouse batteries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.