Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem updating MacBook air

I'm having problem with updating my 2017 MacBook Air to the latest Big Sur OS. Is there a reason why I can't download the update? Is my laptop already obsolete?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 10:37 PM

ohana87 Said:

"problem updating MacBook air: I'm having problem with updating my 2017 MacBook Air to the latest Big Sur OS. Is there a reason why I can't download the update? Is my laptop already obsolete?"

-------

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

No. It is not obsolete.

Try a Temporary Admin User:

What's the error message say when you try to update? If you cannot update, then try creating another Administrator User, and updating through that user.

Important: First, Back Up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a backup of your Mac, prior to making any major changes to it (i.e. update installation)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 10:37 PM in response to ohana87

ohana87 Said:

"problem updating MacBook air: I'm having problem with updating my 2017 MacBook Air to the latest Big Sur OS. Is there a reason why I can't download the update? Is my laptop already obsolete?"

-------

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

No. It is not obsolete.

Try a Temporary Admin User:

What's the error message say when you try to update? If you cannot update, then try creating another Administrator User, and updating through that user.

Important: First, Back Up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a backup of your Mac, prior to making any major changes to it (i.e. update installation)

problem updating MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.