Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have moved my photos in external drive and when I try to open the photo or video it says "photos cannot play this video vecause the resource is unavailable" what can I do?

I have moved my photos in external drive and when I try to open the photo or video it says "photos cannot play this video vecause the resource is unavailable" what can I do?

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 1:07 PM

Hi

What format is the external drive. It needs to be APFS or MacOS extended (Journaled). If you've not formatted it it is probably ExFAT - which is NOT compatible with a photos library. You also need to be able to check the "ignore ownership" flag. (after unlocking the padlock.

Presumably you also backed up your library before moving it?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 1:07 PM in response to sjsim08

Hi

What format is the external drive. It needs to be APFS or MacOS extended (Journaled). If you've not formatted it it is probably ExFAT - which is NOT compatible with a photos library. You also need to be able to check the "ignore ownership" flag. (after unlocking the padlock.

Presumably you also backed up your library before moving it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.